Archinect
anchor

What to do/see in Barcelona?

Aesthete

I'll be in Barcelona for a week over New Years. Tell me something unique to see in Barcelona that I wouldn't find on my own or on tourist maps, especially architecture, gardens, spaces, places, but also about food and interesting shopping. Thanks!

Dec 21, 07 2:50 am
randscraper

-parc diagonal del mar

-go to the macbaa at midnight if its nice out. bring a few euros to buy beers, and just chill and watch the skateboarders

-the champagne bar near barceloneta. i think its just called champagneria or something like that. they have 2 or 3 different bottles of cava, and thats it. you buy it buy the bottle, starting at about 4 euro if i remember correctly, and get plastic cups for everyone in your party, and eat tapas. It closes early some nights though

-I guess you have to see it, but I could have done without Parc Guell. Its a hike, and its not really a park anymore... no spontaneity, no happenings, no relaxation even, just 5000 tourists taking pictures. It felt like a theme park. Gaudi-world, perhaps.

Dec 21, 07 3:35 am  · 
 · 
a-f
Fundacio Tapies
CCCB
Fundacion Joan Miro

(touristic, but it's Sert)
Walden 7

Dec 21, 07 4:26 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I went to Barca over new year in 2004. One of the best new years holidays. Can't remember the restaurant which we booked up for the evenings celebrations / dinner dance although I can rember plenty of Lobster and Champagne was consumed.

It wasn't here but this is good

taxidermista

Parc Guell was excellent, got there early one morning for a stunnning winter morning sunrise, only a handfull of locals milling around.

Dec 21, 07 6:19 am  · 
 · 
AP

in september of 2006 i traveled to barcelona and met up with a group of students and professors from my alma mater. check out my schoolblog for a bunch of entries from that trip...

have fun!

Dec 21, 07 8:31 am  · 
 · 
shaner

make sure to take the cable car over to the beach.. and take your swimming stuff.. its one of the most beautiful beachs ive ever seen. and the cable car ride.. though short. is really cool

Dec 21, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Medit
Arquitectura Barcelona Architecture
Dec 21, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 
johnnyclark

i spent christmas through new years there 2 years ago. it was amazing to see the change of energy in the city. Christmas everybody is home with their families, so we felt like we had the city to ourselves, and then the energy just ramped up over the week til new years when the whole place just exploded.

went to the Sala Apolo for three shows over the week including new years night. Awesome people, bumping music, cute girls... yadayada

miro museum is a must. beautiful gardens and views on any of the out of the way hills that ring the city proper. we stayed at a hostel that was run by disabled people on top of a hill a little ways out of town that had a gorgeous vantage over the whole city.

of the liceu metro stop you should definitely go eat a Juicy Jones, a vegetarian restaurant/juice bar. wonderful eats and wonderful staff.

Dec 21, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 
simples

walk through barri gotic at about 10 or 10-30 am, as the sun rises over the buildings and starts to wash over the street level...that experience will stay with me through the rest of my life...

go have a drink at els quatre cats and sketch someone sitting around you///

Dec 21, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

carjacking and pickpockets.

i ain't kidding, either.

Dec 21, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

I miss Barcelona...took some wonderful pictures there. I loved the nightlife, the people, the beaches, everything... It would probably be one of the few cities I would live in. Wish I was there! :(

Dec 21, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

el borne

good bars, lots of interesting people...check it out

Dec 21, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

I know someone said parc Guell at sunrise...

but Parc Guell at sunset with a bocadillo, bottle of wine and someone you love...well, that's perfection

Dec 21, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: