Archinect
anchor

early ARE testing

asd

A couple states allow early sitting of the ARE exam (AL, TX = 6mths training).
http://www.ncarb.org/stateboards/MBRfaqinitial.asp

Is this advisable or just a potential waste of time/money?

If it's doable which of the exams would you do first?

Dec 19, 07 7:13 pm
garpike
http://areforum.org/
Dec 19, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
asd

thanks! didn't realize that this could be so complicated

starting with this thread, which was very informative:
http://www.areforum.org/forums/view_topic.php?id=23545&forum_id=15&highlight=alabama

Dec 19, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

I finished all sections of my ARE about 6 months before I finished IDP. I did my exams through CA but now, TX and FL are your two best options.

The people at the TX board of arch. examiners are excellent and Jackie Blackmore is fantastic to deal with. They are orgainzed, professional and the process of applying and checking your score results is web based. WWW.TBAE.org

http://www.tbae.state.tx.us/

Finishing your exams ASAP is the best way to leverage greater pay increases. Plus, the studying sucks and it's only going to get harder when your older and possibly have a spouse and children.

Dec 20, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

one caveat: if you're testing early through one state and intend to get licensed in another state that doesn't allow early testing, be sure to confirm with the second state that this is ok. There are a few - such as Oregon - that will not allow initial registration if you do the ARE before completing IDP.
Oregon has some of these recent decisions in their board minutes - they've told candidates who've tested early that they have two choices: either test again, or get licensed in some other state and then apply for reciprocity in Oregon (which is expensive and takes a lot more time.) Pennsylvania is another state that reportedly causes trouble for people who test early.

Dec 20, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Right now the question should be do you want to start testing now under the ARE 3.1 or wait until summer for the ARE 4.0. For the time it takes NCARB to transfer your record to the state it might be a moot point already. Several people I work with have asked what to do as they are finishing up IDP. Unless they plan to slam through the tests I've been suggesting to them they wait. Starting now if you slip up and fail one here or there under ARE 3.1 and you stand a very good chance of having to take exams under both formats. I myself am a bit worried about that but with only 3 exams left I'm pretty relaxed.

Dec 20, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If you start in ARE 3.1 ad "slip up and fail one here or there" you'd still have until summer of 2009 to retake it and pass in 3.1...

It's true though that NCARB can take several months to transmit your record, so if you're in a state that requires your record in order to approve you to start testing then you may just barely squeak through before your time to start testing in 3.1 expires (end of May 2008). But apparently not all states require an NCARB record transmittal to start testing. Somebody mentioned recently in another thread that Texas doesn't require NCARB transmittal to approve candidates to start testing.

Dec 20, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
asd

So do you need to work in a city to do the exams there?

How difficult is it to pass these exams with 1-2yrs experience?
Which ones would you peeps start with?
What's a reasonable amount of time to allocate to taking all exams?

As far as getting registered, am I really going to be stamping stuff?
I agree with marlowe with regards to additional leverage but besides that the state to state nuances seems trivial, at least for now.

Are those CDT, CCS and CCCA things worth it?

Thanks again for this great info!

Dec 20, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

as a person who waited too long to test, take the test as soon as possible, but no sooner.

Dec 20, 07 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

No, you don't need to work in a particular place to get registered there - and you don't need to BE there either. You can register "through" Texas while living in Connecticut and taking all your exams in New York if you feel like it.

Dec 20, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: