Archinect
anchor

who do you dress for?

farmer

they say that women dress for other women. Is this true? who do men dress for?

Dec 19, 07 3:31 pm
lletdownl

i sometimes dress for the off (non) chance that one of the beautiful girls on the blue line will talk to me

Dec 19, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I totally dress for men, which means, I wear a huge strap-on (over my clothes) to jobsites, to make sure they treat me like one of the boys.

Dec 19, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
n_

OHMIGOD.

Hilarious.

Dec 19, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

snap lb....

Dec 19, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

I dress for my bike, my clothing is 90% dictated by if I'm riding it and what the weather is.
jeans are not baggy so I don't have to roll them to prevent grease stains.
shirts are layered so that I can easily control my body temp.
shoes are my old asics because I don't care that they're covered in dirt/salt.

Dec 19, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

i dress in the dark.

Dec 19, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

to keep warm....

to not show off my hairy butt..

to protect you

Dec 19, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

WHOA!

lb, breaking out the sarcastic wednesday crossover!

i wish i could wear the cool clothes women get to wear. i mean who doesn't want to wear a pair of crotchless....i mean chaps, yeah, chaps i wear on saturdays in the office.

Dec 19, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Assless chaps worn by a guy named Berilac Broadbelt of Buckland...I'm swooning...

Sorry, farmer, to answer more seriously: Professionally, I dress for both men and women, I need to look fashionable enough that women will get it but pretty enough that men will too. And I also have to dress appropriately for jobsites, which often means mud. So most days I'm in clean new jeans, that fit well (ie work on my figure but aren't too tight), and boots, that I try to keep clean without much success.

I'm so happy I'm no longer working in an office that doesn't allow jeans!

Dec 19, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

on a more serious note, some women will dress for other women, but it's more to compete or show-off than anything else.

Dec 19, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

lately, i've been feeling guilty about my jeans + sweater routine.

but i don't really get paid enough to handle a drinking routine and a dressing-well routine.

that and the office is a step above tshirts and jeans.

Dec 19, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

The weather

Dec 19, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

i dress to the left

Dec 19, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
some person

One day I was lamenting that I own "only work clothes." A co-worker advised me to shop for "going out clothes." I discovered she was right - a cool blouse totally works under a suit jacket, with jeans.

Plus it helps that one of our principals has a unique fashion sense. No one ever comes close to out-dressing her, which makes it fun for everyone.

Dec 19, 07 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i thought you were walking funny lb!

Dec 19, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I'm with D-Fix. To protect you. So to answer the question, for you.

Dec 19, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
randscraper

pixelwhore, may i ask are you a woman? Because I dress for my bike as well, which is why i only wore tight jeans ONCE riding in. It hurt. Bad. Lots of squeezing that I did not like.

Dec 19, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I'm a woman and I dress for the fellas.....

Dec 19, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

lb, i can't stop laughing, it really must be a party at your house...

Dec 19, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i never dress for women, since they prefer me being undressed.

Dec 19, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 

randscraper:
I'm all man baby.
And my jeans are tight by my standards, not necessarily of others. I rock the Levi 511 daily and anything that is a 'slim' cut is tight. But when it gets to 20 degrees or lower and I'm riding home at 10pm I don't want to be rolling up a pants leg if I don't have to.

Dec 19, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
randscraper

ok yeah we're on the same page. i wear boston tight i guess, but not brooklyn tight. that shit is insane.

and i've ruined so many good pants by the cuff coming undone.....

Dec 20, 07 12:33 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'd be more curious if this thread title was "who do you undress for?"

Dec 20, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
brer

Pixelwhore, I had to read your post above 3 times before I understood this sentence: "[...] anything that is a 'slim' is tight." At first I was thinking, yes, that IS the definition of slim.

Dec 20, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

im wearin a suit today but i havent shaved in a week.

Dec 20, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I dress for Vado.

Dec 20, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
faini

my inner beyonce

Dec 20, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

brer:
sorry about that, I could have worded it better I'm sure, but hey, they're jeans.

Dec 20, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

pixelwhore

you emo?

Dec 20, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

hell no!

Dec 20, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

meta, if I'm not mistaken, assless chaps are completely appropriate in all situations. They are the most diverse garment of clothing anyone could own. What goes good with assless chaps? Almost anything. The only thing that doesn't really jive with assless chaps would be underwear or pants that conceal the ass. Beyond that, assless chaps are a safe bet.

...Unless lb is wearing her strap on and then you might consider wearing kevlar boxers.

Dec 20, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I dress for myself, my bike, my classmates, my professors, my coworkers, any students I have to face and any potential important people I have to meet. Which usually means I have a change of clothes and at least one change of jacket in my bag. I'm like a walking Swiss Army Knife, I can transform at any time.

I do not, however, dress for the people that see me while biking. They all think I'm a giant dork.

Dec 20, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

mdler: more like this:

Dec 20, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

n_____ yesterday i wore a polo paisley tie that is older than you are!!!

Dec 20, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

other Women

Dec 20, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I dress to protect myself from embarrassing other men!

Dec 21, 07 6:30 am  · 
 · 
HoleInTheW ll

I make some of my own clothes. And try to sell them. So sometimes I dress to sell.

Like PixelWhore I dress for biking.

Dec 26, 07 5:51 am  · 
 · 
kyll

my office is on the site. i'm a guy. nuff said

now - when i go into the main office (manhattan) i get decked out with a button down.

and i do it for the girlies on the subway. and the streets, the deli, the restaurants, the laundromat. and on and on..

Dec 30, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Aesthetic and purpose....

Dec 30, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

I dress for me and all the many delightful women I smile at on the street :-D

Jan 2, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

what, rfuller, are 'assless chaps'?!!? Kinky pants?
Sorry, I'm a Brit, so such items of clothing sound like they could only be found in Agent Provocateur ;-)

Jan 2, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

women of course, and the opposite to "who do you undress for"

Jan 2, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: