Archinect
anchor

Firm registration in pennsylvania?

ih1542006

I am currently licensed in two states. And have a business corporation

I work as a sole propretitor. I recently got a architects license in PA. But, Pa has this rule that you must register a firm name. So just having an architect's license doesn't mean you can practice in that state. what?

Anyone explain to me in simple terms what the deal is ?

Dec 19, 07 1:21 pm
liberty bell

I'm drawing on my memory from several years ago, Studio43, but I *think* it's just a one-time fee, around $75, that registers your company as a business, not as a corporation or any other legal entity than a business. I just did liberty bell, architect.

But, like I said, it's been several years, so I could be wrong. I am still registered in PA, but haven't paid taxes there since I stopped doing any work in the state - but I maintain my registration just in case.

Dec 19, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I believe in PA you have to pay more fees (or taxes???) for a name other than your own name. My grandfather used his own name for his sign company, but that was many many years ago.

Dec 19, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Liberty, I pretty sure you are right on. After several calls to the state I finally got someone who didn't sound like they were reading from a script and explained what I should do. Even then when I said a clear "thank you very much " they just hung up.

Dec 19, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

LB is right - but I think it's only a $50 one time fee. The only issue is that you have to pick what kind of business (sole proprietor, LLC, partnership, etc.)

Dec 20, 07 8:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: