Archinect
anchor

Public Buildings: The Atrium

zacman

Hi,

I am currently designing a public building for a University project. The building is arranged like a doughnut (all the spaces surround a central courtyard). It is then stacked up 6 stories.

I just wondered if anyone new any examples of public buildings that use this kind of organisation, or if anyone has any examples of good atriums, that form the heart and organisation of the building?

A bad example of what Im trying to do is this ..

Does anyone know any good examples off hand? cheers, beers and mince pies for all that help

Dec 19, 07 8:57 am
pluk

please study the genzyme center in cambridge, ma by behnisch.de. I would love to work in that building!

Dec 19, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

For atriums you can look at the Ford Foundation building, Kevin Roche and John Dinkeloo, 1967. The Larken Building FLW, Lerner Hall Columbia University, Bernard Tschumi... I'll let you know when I think of more.

Dec 19, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

hertzberger's centraal beheer

Dec 19, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

John Portman, Helmut Jahn

Dec 19, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

Information Technology University Copenhagen, Henning Tegnestue

Dec 19, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

One of my architectural guilty pleasures is the type of mega-scaled interior atrium space that John Portman designs. The materials and detailing are usually horrible, and the projects are anti-urban to the point of being offensive, but those atrium spaces and glass elevators are so damn cool.

Dec 19, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

different (and much better) than most comparable atrium spaces...

eero saarinen's john deere headquarters...

Dec 19, 07 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

good to know there's other people who can respect portman's genius

Dec 20, 07 1:42 am  · 
 · 
zoroaster

This is not really canonical, but maybe kind of similar to the example you posted (granted you didn't really like that one, but, similar in the sense of casual and gestural) --

Steven Ehrlich, Kendall Square biotech lab - http://www.s-ehrlich.com/ -- in the "commercial" section

Also, there was a mention about the bldg across the street from Gehry's M.I.T. Stata center here recently -- the atrium in that is quite impressive. I don't remember the name, unfortunately, but it might be worthwhile to track it down..

Also, a historical one -- Behrens' Farben Dyeworks..

Dec 20, 07 3:10 am  · 
 · 
HoleInTheW ll

Tokyo International Forum, although this is a rather spectacular photograph, it doesn't look quite as electric in person. And the exterior public space is really more interesting, with the most lunch trucks and public seating I've seen in Tokyo.
[img]http://markb-photo.que.jp/images/kokusaiforum-4.jpg[/]

and Benisch's Institute for Forrestry and Nature Research in Wageningen, NL. 'Cause I like trees and cat-walks.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2406/2151319941_55b7f9e149_o.jpg

Dec 31, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
HoleInTheW ll

oops.

Dec 31, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
some person

The Compuware headquarters building in downtown Detroit has an atrium with exposed-back elevators and a large water feature / sculpture.

Dec 31, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: