Archinect
anchor

Farmadelphia

won and done williams

in detroit, there's not too much worry of the old owners showing up. frequently there will be one house left standing on the block. the owner of that house will just take all of the surrounding lots, sometimes with a fence, sometimes by planting it, sometimes by just marking it with stuff. there was a great piece by a new york office (can't remember the name) in the "shrinking cities" exhibition. they called it "blotting" (block+lot).

Dec 14, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

jafidler, not to nitpick, but it's eminent domain, not imminent domain...although i like the allusion to the urgency of the situation

Dec 14, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

...and the legal term for taking over a property is adverse possession and it is a legitimate (although legally naunced) manner for acquiring property

Dec 14, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

smarty pants

Dec 14, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

and it's nuanced, not naunced;)

Dec 14, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

philarch - good question... I meant this idea might have a greater impact in the context of developing cities - not just shrinking cities. I know it was meant to address this particular issue, but I feel that urban agriculture might actually be more effective in a different context.

just another possibility...

-to

Dec 14, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

that is an interesting question toasteroven

one thing i wonder if it is something that would be possible from a financial point of view for a developing city. as seems to be the trend, if you have a hot new spot that is developing, real estate prices keep going up, and if you do something like an urban farm, i wonder if you would get the same value, at least initially

would be interesting to see happen, or try to happen

Dec 14, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Urban farming in a new/developing city is a great idea.

IMHO becaus eit would create green space, farmland can be at least some what "recreational" or at least have a "greening" effect. Meaning it can break up (in a positive way) the urban fabric. Creating pockets of ecology.....

From what i know of Dongtan's masterplan aren't Arup trying to do exactly that. Leaving enough space availble for farmland, recreation etc, but within the "city limits".

http://www.arup.com/eastasia/project.cfm?pageid=7047

Dec 14, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

It could also work in high-tech cities that are currently redeveloping former industrial sectors... inserting agriculture is a way to preserve or reintroduce a relationship that was at one time much more apparent. think of boston common - it was at one time used by colonists to keep their livestock... can you imagine walking around central park in Manhattan when they still had sheep?

places like philly and rustbelt cities have a very different problem... but can it be addressed by agriculture? and what kind of agriculture? the entire industry of agriculture has to change in order for something like this to work, IMO... at least in the developing cities, the connection is more towards education and preserving green space.

btw- current agricultural practices aren't very ecologically friendly... even so-called "organic" farms use similar practices to industrial agriculture.

-to

Dec 14, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: