Archinect
anchor

change of perspective

funkitecture

is it me, or does anyone else feel like they get so caught up in how technical their jobs are that they forget to enjoy them? it makes me wonder if that's what all the complaining on here is all about. we certainly foster negativity

sometimes - the times when i actually enjoy myself at work - i think that it is just so freakin' nit picky to be an architect that i get way too uptight and anal and take it too seriously...and those are the same qualities i hate about architects in general.

dont get me wrong, i love architecture and i was born to do this, but sometimes it feels like we spend so much time with our heads buried in the details and documents that we forget to see the beautiful building

yet when i flip the switch and stop being pissed off, and actually see the beautiful building it is like i just finished a studio class and get to sleep for 19 hours...except that there are 3 other similar projects going on and 2 more in the pipeline and no end in sight (not such a bad thing?)

Dec 12, 07 2:42 am
cadalyst

you have to do what you love, to love what you do.

Dec 12, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Yeah, you have to shake the negativity. I did and decided that I really had nothing to complain about: decent salary for my contribution, good office atmosphere, variety of work. So I focus on being the best at what I do. I take joy from well crafted documents and CD sets, in which everything is properly detailed, annotated, and reads perfectly. It's rare that it happens with so many people working on one project, but when it does, it's beautiful.

Dec 12, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i naturally have a similar disposition, funk. i often get bored and frustrated by the minutia of the profession. i think the way to overcome that feeling is to work on projects you genuinely love and want to see completed as best as they possibly can be. it's hard to get excited doing a door schedule for your typical doc-in-a-box, but when you're working on a project that you feel is actually contributing something or is genuinely beautiful that door schedule becomes something you slave over.

i understand here's your sign's point about taking pride in the craftsmanship of the documents, but for me that can only go so far - i need good projects to produce my best work.

Dec 12, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

god is in the details

substance abuse is in the project management

Dec 14, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: