Archinect
anchor

Libeskind's Jewish Museum, San Francisco

Jimmy Stamp

Hey everyone. I got a sneak peak into the new Contemporary Jewish Museum last night. I'm not particularly into Libeskind's work, and I had my doubts about this building, but it was surprisingly coherent. We'll have to wait until summer to see if it falls apart once the work is installed.

Some of the photos I took can be seen here:
http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2007/12/11/curbed_inside_contemporary_jewish_museum.php#reader_comments

Dec 11, 07 11:49 pm
obelix

It will also be interesting to see how the museum complements St. Patrick's Church, which is right nearby.

Dec 11, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

would libeskind want to complement a church?

Dec 12, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

The year I decided to become an architect, 1998, I interned with Studio Libeskind for a month.
In 1998 the Jewish Museum in Berlin was opened and the office was designing the Jewish Museum in San Francisco. I actually did some model work for it. I never realized it was being built.

Dec 12, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

so, Im not Jewish, but does his architecture speak to the Jews in any way??? He seems to have developed a contemporary Jewish vernacular and I was wondering if it had any meening to it???

Dec 12, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
med.

What's with all of the Jewish museums? Everyone seems to totally lose their shit over them.

Dec 12, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

they Jews like to build museums, I suppose

Dec 12, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Don't get me wrong, they are very good. But while I was in school, that's all some of the lecturers ever talked about.

Dec 12, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jimmy Stamp

mdler - the mostly jewish staff of the museum were fawning over his design and the symbolism that was packed into every room. I'm not sure if the actual SPACE resonates with them, but there was definitely a great appreciation for the concepts inherent in the design

Dec 12, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

as long as it has a exhibit explaining how Zionism is wrong everything will be Kosher

Dec 12, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i wonder what the security for the design of these jewish museums are???

Dec 12, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
knock

The thing I found most interesting was out front of the museum, along with a rendering a small description, there was number that you could call that gave you a background on the project, a tour of the outside, ect. It told you what you were looking at. Quite a novel concept, I thought. Like the audio tour you have at a museum. But "free".

Would be interesting to see if you could apply this to whole cities. Its already partially being done w/ Go cars in san fran. They have a GPS system which tells you which routes to go, and gives and audio along the way. You could take this a step further, and automate the whole city. Hmm ....

Dec 13, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: