Archinect
anchor

AIA membership question...

dml955i

So my firm will pay for my national AIA membership, but I have to pay my own way for state & local AIA membership.

If I'm a national AIA member, do I also have to be a state and local member?

Dec 10, 07 2:20 pm
el jeffe

yup.

Dec 10, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Yes, but it depends on your location whether there are in fact separate local and state dues - many states have just one chapter so just one amount for dues. So in some states this is as little as an additional $200-$300 or less, while in other cities and states it's as high as $800 or more in combined local and state dues.
The chapter you must join is based on your zip code. You have the choice of using your home or business address.

Dec 10, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Seems like a lot of money for a subscription to Arch Record...

Dec 10, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'd save your money and go to amazon.com for a $43 subscription to Architectural Record.

Dec 10, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If you're licensed and your firm is an AIA member firm then you must be a member or your firm will actually have to pay a fine to the AIA. So in that situation I'd try to negotiate with them to pay the local and state dues - or at least part - because it will generally cost them more if you don't join!
But if you're not licensed, or if your firm isn't a member firm, then there's no harm to the firm if you won't join.

Dec 10, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
babs

you guys just don't get it, do you?

belonging to a professional association is like being a member of a health club ... if you don't get out of your chair and actually do something for yourself, you're just wasting your money and not getting any benefits at all. aia is so much more than Arch Record -- don't just be a mailbox member.

supplemental dues are not a "fine" -- they are a legitimate charge, ratified by the membership, designed to address the fact that all licensed architects -- be they members or not -- benefit from the many activities and tools the AIA makes available to the profession at large.

The American Institute of Architects (AIA) is the voice of the architectural profession, dedicated to serving its members, advancing their value, and improving the quality of the built environment.

Since 1857, the AIA has represented the professional interests of America's architects. As AIA members, more than 77,000 licensed architects, emerging professionals, and allied partners in designing express their commitment to excellence and livability in our nation's buildings and communities.

Membership in the AIA offers a vast pool of resources to help architects compete in today's market and stay informed of critical professional issues that may challenge success.

Dec 10, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

If you want to join my group, I'm working on starting the AIIA (American Institute of Illegal Architects). We will be charging a $300 membership fee that will be used mostly to fight off lawsuits for using the term Architect.

The American Institute of Illegal Architects (AIIA) is the voice of the architectural subvert, dedicated to challenging its members, advancing formal and innovative discourse in the field, and redefining the built environment.

Estb. Unknown. the AIIA has represented the interests of America's unlicensed designers and builders. As AIIA members, more than 1 unlicensed architect, emerging professional, and allied partner in design, fabrication and construction express their commitment to questioning the mainstream and conventional forces in our nation's buildings and communities.

Membership in the AIIA offers a vast network of like minded shapeshifters to help members cross borders and stay informed of critical issues that may challenge our existence.

Dec 10, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Does the AIIA have its own version of Architectural Record?

If so, I'm in.

Dec 10, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

babs: I would buy the argument that Supplemental Dues cover the services that non-AIA member employees use and benefit from in member firms - and in that case I wouldn't consider it a "fine" - if it weren't for the fact that in many state and local chapters the supplemental dues are higher - sometimes by hundreds of dollars - for each non-member registered architect in the firm than the regular dues for that person would be in the first place if he was a member. How is that not a fine? Are you really arguing that non-AIA members use MORE services and products than the AIA members do?

Dec 10, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

too bad this guy didn't join the AIIA...

Dec 10, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
grid

AIA = boring. I don't see myself ever joining unless it's on another persons dollar.

Dec 10, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

babs still hasn't convinced me, you need to tell me more.

Dec 10, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the AIIA reminds me of this small 'blues' bar close to where i live that has a donation jar at end of the bar. it is money for when the owner gets a ticket for allowing customers to smoke inside the establishment. i also heard that the bar can't have things that promote or is related to smoking (ashtrays, etc)...so they slide you one of those small, colored glass jars with a candle inside to use as an ashtray...

or AIIA can call it's members architecs...without the c and h

Dec 10, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i mean just the t

Dec 10, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

babs

just coping the rhetoric from the AIA's website isnt going to convince me of anything. can you please elaborate on why the AIA is a good thing

I do like the lapel pins, however

Dec 10, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

wurdan, where do I sign?

Dec 10, 07 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wow babs! i joined, but i plan on challenging the institution. to go around and state that ALL architects benefit, so it's justified is horseshit. does it benefit the NON-MEMBER when the AIA puts out advertising suggesting to the laymen that hiring non-AIA architects can affect the client satisfaction or will not benefit them?

national is a PAC for congressional issues, local and state are only as good as its membership - thankfully MN has great core....

Dec 10, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Getting back on target, the firm will pay my national dues ($238), but as it turns out, I have to pay the state and local dues, which tallys up to $450!!!!

Forget it...

Dec 11, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
mdler

lapel pins y'all, lapel pins!!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 11, 07 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

$450 is a pretty good deal AIA-wise. If I were a member it would cost me $804 in local and state dues alone!

Dec 11, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

it's worth it for the parties alone!

Dec 12, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

"you guys just don't get it, do you?"

why is that 'some' aia members talk with such authoritative arrogance about the profession?
i always said this and say it again, some of us simply can't afford $1000 + fees. what should we do, just take our licenses down and send it to aia and say we are not worthy?
non aia member architects usually portrayed as free loaders and a different breed is not right.

Dec 12, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Tesekkur ederim for saying what I felt, Orhan.

Dec 12, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

but hey if you are not going to be active or use the resources then what is the point of the membership beyond some letters on your buis. card

Dec 12, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

I think there are few reasons for AIA's existence.

The complicated and expensive continuing education requirement process is solely there to create revenue for AIA as the "provider of professional education materials" and as the "recorder of professional education credits". How much knowledge are we really absorbing in those "sandwich and a salesman" lunch presentations?

AIA sells its standard form of contract template, a legitimate service to its members, and to non-members.

AIA's self-promoting sham of professional recognition, "FAIA Fellow" designation, allows mundane architects to self-appoint themselves as FAIA members. A person self-nominates himself; with a sufficient number of sympathetic friends, process is straight-forward self-certification. Ever read the career descriptions of most "FAIA" designated architects?

Dec 12, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

lobbying

Dec 12, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
n_
AIA's self-promoting sham of professional recognition, "FAIA Fellow" designation, allows mundane architects to self-appoint themselves as FAIA members. A person self-nominates himself; with a sufficient number of sympathetic friends, process is straight-forward self-certification.

I had no idae they self-nominate themselves. That takes some balls.

Dec 12, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: