Archinect
anchor

Where to source quality architecture info & images?

Urbananite

What are the best websites for sourcing information, pictures, drawings about architects and architecture? I'm looking for more obscure stuff, not just contemporary either, maybe some good classics too.

Thanks!

Mar 1, 13 9:55 am
Pinemarten
Urbananite

Thanks! Any other suggestions? Wikipedia can be a funny one to reference sometimes.

Mar 5, 13 4:25 am  · 
 · 
Pinemarten

I agree. What you need to do is look at the sources for the images and articles. Look at the talk page beside Sondra Locke's article for a huge spiel about references. Most editors try to find the accurate ones not tabloids and badly written books. All articles have a 'References' section at the bottom. Many are online but the architecture ones may have more books. The books themselves should be in most big libraries. Try a few articles from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Architecture The link I gave above is just images this cat is the articles.

Mar 5, 13 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
turner410

What about websites like Archdaily, Architectuul and Domus? They have really images and content - most of the time you can reference the author and the images.

Mar 7, 13 6:39 am  · 
 · 
brickandbones

I personally find the end all to this problem seems to be the library. It's just the hassle of traveling most of the time. The good stuff on the net is really hard to find, there may be a handful around, but your best bet are still books.

Mar 7, 13 9:03 am  · 
 · 
ncecchi

I was going to suggest your local architecture library at the university.

At school, I worked in the slide library, and one of the projects at that time was digitizing everything to make the New Orleans Visual Archive.  ( lunaweb.giza.tulane.edu/luna/servlet )

I would imagine other schools and cities have similar programs.

Mar 7, 13 9:31 am  · 
 · 
watts
Yes nothing will come close to books in the library.. Websites like archdaily are too big now and they publish projects in exchange for money.. Like ads. Look at most of the projects they post.. Bland. Go to architonic, domus, dezeen, bustler, europa concorsi. Buy magazines like mark, the plan, and abitare, domus. But again nothing will ever come close to books, if you want to catch up on info you gotta start with older buildings.. Or else your design will be copies of contemporaries, and I don't see that as the future at all.
Mar 7, 13 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: