Archinect
anchor

Bangkok

scralk

Anyone know of any unmissable sights in Bangkok / Central Thailand? Thanks!

Dec 6, 07 12:04 pm
n_

All of it is unmissable.

My travels in Thailand were probably some of the most memorable travels I've experienced. Good luck.

Dec 6, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
scralk

Thanks for that - I should have been more specific though -- unmissable modern buildings (or ancient buildings too that you wouldn't find in a guidebook). Thanks again.

Dec 6, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i think the airport is pretty impressive... im guessing you'll see that though

Dec 6, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

After a 20-odd hour flight, it might be hard to take in the airport. I was there a few years ago and I don't remember a thing about it, except how the taxis work.

Bangkok is the dirtiest place I've ever been to in my life, but the rest of the country is beautiful. You'll have a great time.

In the northern capital of Chiang Mai, there are ooolllllldddd temples every few blocks. The entire original city was surrounded by four huge walls, which are still standing in some places. If you're there, you'll see what I mean, it's unbelievable.

Dec 6, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I need a trip to Thialand, catch up with my ole Thai Highschool Class mates...I don't think we would be hanging in Bangkok, well not the dirty part of Bangkok....or those guys wouldn't have always been wearing white patten leather shoes and white silk custom designed suits....I need a trip for pure relaxation.

Dec 6, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
iaakuza

Well,I live in Bangkok. Which kinds of place you guys want to go?

--unmissable modern buildings (or ancient buildings) -- we have only few places but the qualities of design cannot be compared with London, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Tokyo, or Berlin.. many people said that our development is behind Eu contries or USA almost 50 yrs. Therefore, the best thing that might interest you would be the diversities of culture which are unfortunately outside bangkok.

But I suggest you to visit all 5-stars hotels/resorts, spas, and shopping complexes. There are so many things you can learn from them.

If you have enough time, going to the an ancient city which is a world's cultural heritage such as Ayudhaya (2 hrs. from BKK) or Sukhothai (6 hrs from BKK) and staying there for 1-2 nights is worth for visiting the central part.

To snooker: Place for hanging out, there are Kaosan Road which is very famous for foreigners because the hundred of hostels are around that are too, but personally I don't like it at all.. too dirty and noisy with strange people. If you want more relax there are many chilling bars n' Restaurant with nice design and yummy foods in Thonglor Road.

If you want to have more informations, don't reluctant to contact me:
[email protected] you're welcome!!!

Dec 7, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
superinteresting!

based on a two-week trip to thailand a year ago:

best things, for me, are not really the "unmissable modern buildings," although someone did have a photo post of some incredible early modern stuff a few days ago here. more just the general atmosphere of, strikingly, simultaneous chaos and "laid-back-ness."

and these are all still from an architectural point of view --

- very cool 30s-70s (i think) shop houses. just an excellent variety, stylistically all over the place but super-interesting, in various stages of decay. unmissable 'cause they're all over the place

- elevated walkways around the MBK intersection

- chinatown streets, alleys and markets

- water taxi rides, either in the chao phraya or the small canals

- weekend market little bit north of the city center. amazing viewed from the skytrain as you approach. HUGE.

have fun!

Dec 18, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: