Archinect
anchor

ARE testing in Texas...

kissy_face

So after yet ANOTHER project I am working on went on hold...I made the decision to transfer my IDP record to Texas so I can take some of the test ARE exams before the exam changes next year. I know I have to finish IDP but I just want to start testing.
Has anyone done this through Texas? Do you know how long it takes for them to give you the go ahead? I have the form from Texas that I have to submit with my 100 dollar fee but do I have to do something through NCARB as well? The site was a little jumbled and I just want to make sure I do the process correctly. Thanks!

Dec 5, 07 3:49 pm
Bloopox

I believe you need to have NCARB transmit your IDP record directly to Texas. But you should contact the Texas board directly and ask specifically what they require.
Transmitting your IDP record usually takes NCARB about 30 business days (5 weeks), though recently some people have complained about longer wait-times due to some processing backlog.
If you've never transmitted your IDP record before then you can probably use your one free transmittal for this. If you have previously transmitted it to another state then there is a $300 transmittal fee for each subsequent transmittal (eventually you'll also have to pay this to transfer your record to whatever state you're actually going to get registered in, if it's not Texas.) There's another potential fee of about $500 if you ask NCARB to transmit your record within one year of the date that you first established your NCARB council record with them.

Dec 5, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Why not just wait for the ARE 4.0? After all the waiting for NCARB, state of TX to give you authorization to test you might already be past the '08 rollout of the new exam anyway. Then all those fees paid will all be for nothing.

Dec 5, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I'm also looking to transfer because I'm just tired of waiting around to finish my IDP. I'm well into my 4th year of internship and I feel like I'm not going anywhere. I'm getting redundant experience in SD, DD, CDs and I want to start taking the tests so atleast I'm doing something productive.
With the latest hold on the project I'm working on I'm looking at another year of CDs that I don't need. It could be YEARS before I'm done with IDP and I'm not prepared to wait that long to start testing. I'm not quite ready to leave this job yet... (although I may be in a few months if more opportunities don't come along) and even if I leave to chase the last of my needed credits I could still be put on a project that doesn't help me (like at my last job). There are some things that I'm learning but its not helping me to check off any IDP boxes.

Dec 5, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Still, by the time you get the go ahead to start testing through Texas, a good chunk of 2008 will be gone and you only have until July 2009 to finish if you start ARE 3.1. Are you planning on not starting until 4.0 is implemented?

Dec 5, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

He (or she) can always strategically choose the 3.1 tests he takes so that they all transition to 4.0 and little or no repetition is necessary (NCARB has the transition chart on their website.)
It should be possible to get clearance to test in time to start in 3.1. But, if it does end up taking months then it may be cutting it close, since he'd have to start testing before the end of May, and that would usually mean making a reservation in April. Since that's still 4 months away I think there's a reasonable chance of making that deadline!
A year is more than enough for many people to take and pass all the tests, but it does depend on your other time commitments, your comfort level with test-taking, and lots of other factors.

Dec 5, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

A couple of things:

In Texas, you apply through TBAE for the ARE, and not NCARB.
You don't transmit your IDP record to Texas to take the ARE. You basically fill out a one page form that states that you have 6 months full time employment under a registered architect after the receipt of your professional degree. As I recall, the process didn't take very long at all (about 6-8 weeks) prior to my receiving an authorization to test.

Also, if you don't plan to practice in Texas, you may want to check the reciprocity rules of the state you will be licensed in. I seem to remember that a couple of states have gotten their panties in a wad about other states that allow testing prior to IDP, and have either disallowed reciprocity with those states or made it more difficult. (I recall this because there was a paragraph I had to acknowledge on my TBAE application that talked about the possibility of not receiving reciprocity in some jurisdictions.)

Hope this helps.

Dec 6, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

That helps a lot. I just checked the state website for the state I live in (GA) and it appears that as long as I complete IDP it should be ok. I also sent an email to them and hopefully I will get a response.

Dec 6, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
kissy_face

Texas moves fasts! Just got an email saying I have the go ahead and I should be approved to test though Thomson/Prometric shortly.

Does anyone recommend a good first test? Like any that may transition to 4.0. The NCARB website and all of its flow charges and diagrams aren't making a lot of sense.

Dec 18, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: