Archinect
anchor

STC rating of log wall?

FRO

I am working on a historic renovation project and need to do some serious gymnastics to reconcile the clients wishes with the building department and the architectural review board....

Long story short, does anyone know here I can find information on STC ratings for solid log wall assemblies? All the information I can find tells me there are no published ratings for these assemblies, but they allude to the fact that some testing hast been done...

thanks

Dec 4, 07 12:39 pm
emaze

aren't logs (if over a certain diameter) considered "heavy timber"?

Dec 4, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

its all about the chinking...

Dec 4, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Logs, STC's and YOU
Dec 4, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

thanks for the responses.

emaze- unfortunately, there are no ratings for heavy timber walls either.

tk- the chinking is what it is, as BOZAR (Board of Zoning and Architectural Review) will not let us expose the exterior of the logs to access the chinking.

Currently the logs are covered by layers of 2x4 furring, 5" drop lap siding, nasty fake brick asphalt sheeting, and finally board & batten siding. We are removing the board & batten and the asphalt sheeting to expose the historic drop lap siding. We wanted to expose all the way to the log, re-furr, insulate, waterproof, etc. and reinstall the drop lap siding, but they felt it would detract from the historic nature of the siding, even if we put every board back in it's exact location (don't ask). Sooooo, we are stripping to the drop lap, injecting polyiso spray foam into existing cavities in the furring and getting about an R-30 out of the whole assembly, as well as being able to leave the squared log interior surface exposed.

This project is in a mixed business/residential zone, so we are soundproofing the wall on the residential facing side to appease some neighbors hence the STC issue. We would like to leave the log exposed on the interior on this wall as well, but can't remove the exterior siding.

jeffe- I found that pdf earlier, but unfortunately there is nothing in there in the way of hard technical data for rating this assembly.

In the end, we are probably gonna go with field testing the wall in question.

So much for making a long story short..... I'm putting some pics in the jobsite pic thread from October when the building was hanging in the air if anyone is interested.

Dec 4, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
postal

ooh man, i'm such a nerd. for a minute, i desperately wanted to know what the STC for a log wall would be. and what a typical engineering consultant essay so "informative" but witholding all the info you actually need. eh well, your approach sounds reasonable to me FRO, good luck. Sounds very interesting.

...and I love that fake brick sheeting, that stuff is awesome, and just rampant through chicago.

Dec 4, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
funkitecture

it's gotta be like a million

on the other hand, wood is a good acoustical conductor...in speakers anyway

Dec 5, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

you may need to call an acoustician and have them perform a test.

Dec 5, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
spark

I was going to suggest a chain saw test...

Dec 5, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hi spark!

Dec 5, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

that is the exact opposite of any log renovation i've worked with. for one thing, the furring should be on the inside. for another, who outside of santa fe wouldn't want to see logs? why do they want an STC rating anyway?

Dec 6, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: