Archinect
anchor

Zaha Gets Her Bars Up

Jah is my Co-pilot

Right Here

Nov 29, 07 7:29 pm

... after this, the deluge.

Seriously, how are those panels made? Are custom one-offs that cheap now? F*ckin' Austria.

Nov 29, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

that's some good s__t!

Nov 29, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i would guess the forms were cnc'd then the acrylic/etc was vacuum formed......

thats alot of pieces though

so how many years have the "morphed" structures been famous?

b

Nov 29, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

so much effort in all of those curves. Yet i am most drawn to the elegance of the staircase.

Nov 29, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

That is gorgeous!
Some shots remind me of the inside of those glacier caves in the alps. Anybody been there yet?

Nov 29, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i was thinking the same thing M. I'm very impressed with her blobby forms, but the stairs are probably the most well designed parts of the stations.

Nov 29, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Here's how she did it:

http://www.building.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3100491

Nov 29, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

wow...

Nov 29, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Apurimac, did Zaha steal your 3D-H design?!?

Nov 30, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And I agree with mhollenstein and Apu: the concrete stuff is far more elegant, and the blobby stuff sits reeeeallly uncomfortably on top of it.

Nov 30, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Great article, guppy, thanks for linking it.

But honestly, sometimes we architects should just be quiet:

As (project architect Tomas) Vietzke comments: “The fluid shapes of the canopies lend themselves naturally to the flow of water.”

If water naturally wants to flow over these luscious curvy shapes, why hide the actual rainwater control system inside the blobs?

Nov 30, 07 12:35 am  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

Wow. I'm not worthy.

Nov 30, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 

beautiful photos, but this comment (from below the linked images) made me curious to see daylight shots:

I think the congratulations should go to Helene Binet for making this project look significantly better than it actually is. All these photos are taken at night. If you saw the photos in last week’s Architects Journal (taken during the day), you wouldn’t be congratulating the contractor or Zaha. They reveal shoddy workmanship and bad detailing. It’s a bit like pulling someone in a nightclub who looks gorgeous, only to find the next morning in the broad light of day, they are a minger.

if this is true, it's too bad.

but, anyway, i learned a new word! what's a minger? off to urban dictionary...

Nov 30, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

sounds like...

Nov 30, 07 7:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

isn't this the thing that tips fred flinstone's car over? stoneage 3dh! take that you intelligent designers.

Nov 30, 07 7:32 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

minger: maybe it's a zaha eupemism?

(oh no I dinn't)

Nov 30, 07 8:53 am  · 
 · 

from urban dictionary:

1. someone who smells bad

2. an ugly person (used of people to whom your attention has been drawn by a friend, perversely as a potential mate.)

3. someone who has very recently been drunk. Cognate of rat-arsed.

4. someone generally distasteful

This word is widely used in the North of England and Scotland.

even more helpful:
orininating on the continent of Australia, the term "minger" or scientific term, man'in'ger'bia'tch, has evolved from the stonage and is the general word mostly used by males to define a bad horrible smell or disturbingly ugly female. But can be used by females theres no rule against it.

Nov 30, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

thanks for the heads up LB, i'll get my lawyers on it immediately.

And VR- You totally called it on my source of inspiration.

Nov 30, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
kyll

Steven,

usually #'s 1 thru 4 are all the same person, so thats one heck of a definition....

my favorite response to hadid's work is mondi's. its true - projects like this involve anal a-hole architect-ness on top of the gc DAILY throughout the project to get precise.

Nov 30, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Moulds were made out of steel rods contoured to the precise double-curved shape of each panel.

anyone have pictures of the mo[u]ld used to slump the glass?

Nov 30, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

Haha Vado! ... thats hilarious ... I think they were b-b-q brontosaurus spare ribs.

Nov 30, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

yeah.. but i think they were woolly mammoth ribs.. it would be pretty awkward to be eating brontosaurus with his pet brontosaurus in the car next to him.

"fred.. what's up, man? not cool."

Nov 30, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i wonder how it performs under the snowy / icy conditions. You get some accumulated ice sliding off one of those things and into your head...

Nov 30, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

designed in Europe....made in China

Nov 30, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

so, what happens when one of these panels does get shattered???? I wonder if a new piece could be made seeing how every piece is custom fabricated???

Even if you could theortically manufacture a new piece of the glass, I would assume that it's color would be slightly off

Nov 30, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Hi mdler!

Nov 30, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

I didn't know she had a gothic style before.

Nov 30, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Why is Per not all over this thread?

Nov 30, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

YES 765
he owns Zaha

"...mountains of money"

Nov 30, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder if they really included that last floaty rib at the bottom. Gotta follow the algortihm, right?

Nov 30, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

This shot is nice! (I know it's not from the photographer.)

Nov 30, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

765, you can see the floaty here:

Looks like an end cap.

Nov 30, 07 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

so the construction method really is highly reminiscent of Per's system after all

Dec 1, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
binary

the glass top doesnt look like it goes with the rest of the setup...... sort of like an after thought.....

Dec 1, 07 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I know this is besides the point here but I can't stop thinking of what it takes in terms of resources to build something like that, to have all those molds done one by one, only to throw them away afterwards.

I think we reached a point of imbalance between what we can describe in terms of geometry - very, very complex geometry is so cheap to model these days but the way to make it still relies on making molds to pour crap in them.

Dec 1, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"...to have all those molds done one by one, only to throw them away afterwards."

i'm pretty sure, if the demand for this type of production increases, that someone will invent one mold that changes shape according to some computer file...an automated 3-dimensional contour guage.

Dec 1, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah.... sort of like those needle blocks.... them imprint by using rods...

only thing is that wil the material be flat and then heat pressed into the mold.... almost like stamping for automotive panles...

or

will the material be poured into the mold

b

Dec 1, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

You could keep the molds. One can go by the Menil in Houston and see the industrial yard a few blocks away where they have the molds and fabrication system set up to replace Renzos cast leaves...so, it has been done. I would be very surprised if they had not already considered the issues regarding replacing elements of the design.

Dec 2, 07 12:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: