Archinect
anchor

Grow Housing

zach26

We are interested in a new possibility for a future lifestyle that integrates technology, ecology and culture. We are wondering what thoughts other designers and architects have on how ecology engages topics in architecture, urbanism, and life style.

A forum in which you can engage in this possibility is http://www.growhousing.com

Nov 27, 07 2:50 pm
WtfWtfWtf™

While I am sure many will look, Good luck getting underpaid, underappreciated architects and designers to "share their thoughts" for free....just my immediate reaction - no offense.
PS; interesting site, thanks.

Nov 27, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

zach- posting the same request in several threads is not appreciated (especially since you are a newbie). If you really want our assistance, you better put out and contribute to this forum for a while first before asking for such generosity.

But why do we need another forum? this one does everything we ask of it.

Nov 27, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

we are such dicks....

Nov 27, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

no we're not- its just their generation expects everything for free and handed to them on a silver platter. Those young punks haven't learned that lunch ain't free or that we really need another website covering the same ground...

Nov 27, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Enviro-Capitalist Intellectual Freeloaders!

Nov 27, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
zach26

People ask what they should eat for dinner on this website... which is fine, but all we were trying to do was post something slightly more interesting. We didn't realize that there was a thread especially for "green" ideas, so we posted twice. Sorry that was so offensive.

Nov 27, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I'm eating my shoe for dinner tonight to cut my carbon footprint virtually in half.

Nov 27, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
zach26

nice, good work. you are the future.

Nov 27, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

cold pizza is my exciting dinner - tastes better then old shoes and doesn't need any more energy to heat (and the box is recyclable). Dinner is interesting after a day in the trenches of architecture...

Good luck with your site - I was impressed by the originality of the first few posts you've made.

tK
LEED-AP

Nov 27, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
orion

the sarcasm is scathing, no wonder it sounds like you all lead such horrible and miserable lives. At least zach here looks like hes having a descent time...

Nov 27, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

Sorry to say, but it all seems a bit cryptic. I don't have any sarcasm to add. However, the phrases "taming the landscape" and "TEC is the new frontier" are a bit unsettling with me. It looks like you are proposing things that have been proposed for the past 40-60 years, although I haven't found the full blown brief. So perhaps some of the criticism you are receiving emerges from this.

The images very utopian. They are beautiful but...

What is your agenda, what is the prototype a criticism of?

Structurally it seems a bit dubious. That looks like a lot of water.
Don't see much structure.

Where is the circulation in the diagrams? How does that work?

Who lives there, and why?

How does this prototype respond to the environment? or does it?

What is the program of this prototype?

What building types does this prototype emergre from?

Why isn't this being done already?

Looks like an ambitious project, good luck.

Nov 27, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

well, i applaud you for doing something, and really the website itself is quite nice - a good base to build upon, but honestly, i have no idea what you are trying to say, and i'm a little skeptical at this point if you know what you are trying to say.

also the whole manifesto vibe seems dated. phrases like "TEC is the new frontier" make me cringe. i think there's definitely something to what you're doing, but it needs a hell of a lot more flushing out. i'm not quite sure you're ready to "go live" with it. maybe that process of exploration and critique is built into the website, but as an innocent just happening upon what you're doing it's a little bewildering and may in fact be hurting your idea.

(btw your image gallery locked up my safari for about 30 seconds.)

Nov 27, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I left a comment.

It looks interesting. By which I mean, it all looks great, very pretty, and I see some interesting seeds being planted (to force what seems like an appropriate metaphor...) but I'm not sure where it is all going. I'll check back in to see if I can figure it out as it "grows".

Which is the nature of any public forum, yes?

Nov 27, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 

looks nice.

looks a lot like the todds work and ocean ark institute, so am very interested. looks also a lot like m. blanc, which i love, but am not so interested in as wave of future. its just really cool.

dissapointed that the prototype is just a set of renderings. at least the todds grew tilapia in the basement and set up some geodesic domes...nothing real on the horizon? i was actually expecting a prototype, not a concept.

i do hope you get to build some of this. i am not convinced it is that much better than the status quo, but that is cuz i am greened out right now (damn the me-generation 90's!), and would love to be convinced otherwise.

look forward to seeing it grow too.

Nov 28, 07 4:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: