Archinect
anchor

Hotel building code in NYC

nonarchitect

Does anyone know if getting a C.of O for a hotel or bed and breakfast would be any different than obtaining one for residential apartments. I have filed plans for multiple dwelling and they have been approved, however, we have decide to turn the building into a bed and breakfast instead...anyone with similar experience ? Also do the rules for minimum room sizes pertain to hotels as they do to residential ?

Nov 26, 07 12:22 pm
RankStranger

Don't know much about CofO (our hotel is still under construction) but you will definitely need to refile. As far as room sizes, a hotel is a Class "B" dwelling according to the Multiple Dwelling Law. If you look that up you should find out min. room sizes and such. Also, with the new occupancy (probably J-1) you should check the NYCBC (obviously). I could see a B&B considered a J-2 but I doubt the DOB would let that fly.

Nov 26, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

there is a difference, but i'm not sure how it will affect you. look in the code description of type of use. bed and breakfasts are called out specifically in the ibc as a certain type of residential use.

or just ask your friendly code reviewer. build a relationship with these guys. it might pay off.

Nov 26, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

you will have to file a post-approval ammendment. I assume you checked the zoning as well as the building code...

Nov 26, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

thanks guys, I was hoping i could just do post approval amendment...nyc DOB drives me crazy...but judging by the comments I think I would need to re-file...

Nov 26, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

check with your expeditor of course, but I think you can do a lot with a PAA. However, if you're not confident that the B&B is 100% kosher, re-filing (not self-certified) would give you assurance that your building is legal. Owner will have to pay all the filing fees again and it's now taking about 6 weeks to get plans approved. So, depends how much time you have. hope this helps.

Nov 28, 07 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: