Archinect
anchor

cheapest city in Europe

bleu

Which is the cheapest city in Europe as far as Air tickets and travelling to neighbouring countries goes ?I am planning to make a multi destination trip and wanted a city to begin it all from.
I was thinking of visiting Paris & Vienna and I think I will start the trip with Prague..Any advice, keeping in mind, it will be just a 15 day trip and I like to linger in a city rather than run through its tourist's spots.

Nov 25, 07 1:12 am
aspect

from where to where?

from my understanding, switch at dubai will be alot cheaper.

Nov 25, 07 1:18 am  · 
 · 
d-arch

Look up the TGV and other rail links - it can be cheaper, more flexible and almost as fast to get around on trains.

www.raileurope.com/us/index2.htm

Nov 25, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Paris is definately NOT a cheap city. I've heard that getting around Eastern Europe is pretty cheap.

Nov 25, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

This is just my wild guess...maybe something like croatia would be rather inexpensive.

Nov 25, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
pandpieri

take a look at where the low fare airlines go, Ryanair goes to london (within eurpoe that is, Stanstead is their hub there), which for sure isnt a cheap place, but just for a short stop it might be worth it. from there you can catch planes to most places, just be aware that the low fare airlines sometimes fly to way out of town, to small airports, where the transport to/from town is almost as much as the airline ticket itself.
I think eastern europe is still pretty ok when it comes to cost of living. I think Austria is pretty ok as well.

good luck

Nov 25, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
bleu

I am sorry I would be leaving frm Chicago to Prague ...and then travel within by train...is Prague cheap...or Vienna....?

Nov 26, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Prauge was cheap. It's more expensive now than it was 10 years ago, but what's really making Europe expensive is exchange rates.

As for getting to Europe cheap...and getting around, I've found flying into London is on average cheaper than Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. From there you can take EasyJet or RyanAir for very reasonable rates all over the continent. Quick 1/2 day rail trips can get you anywhere.

I hear the real deals have moved east and are now in places like Romania, Ukraine, etc.

Nov 26, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

what are you asking? it sounds like you already know what you're doing. you're flying into prague then, in fourteen days, taking a train going through vienna winding up in paris. is there a question in there somewhere?

if you're asking about cheap transportation, aquapura's post is spot on. ryanair and easyjet will take you long distances from most cities relatively cheap. for shorter distances take the train.

Nov 26, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
pandpieri

there is a polish low fare airline called wizz air, I guess they fly all over eastern europe.
the European railways recently reintroduced the interrail card allowing for unlimited travels around europe within a month. But now they also have other deals, like a card valid for 15 days allowing you to travel for a total of 5 days or so, you can choose to travel all or a few countries of Europe. I did that a few years ago mostly traveling in eastern Europe, still i dont know if it is a good deal, i think trains are cheaper there in general but as you are heading for paris it might be a good idea (be aware that the french railways have been on strike lately).
I dont know about your nationality, but those are apparently for EU and turkish pasport holders, for others there is something called Eurail, seems pretty much the same (http://www.eurail.com/).
I guess you buy the card in the city where you arrive first or on the web page.
for really cheap transportation within europe you can go for coaches, run over night between major cities but it is a mess and not worth it if you have limited time.

Nov 26, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: