Archinect
anchor

Pitched vs. Flat Roof - a visual debate

To reinvigorate the old debate over roof shapes I suggest we post images that support the case either for a flat or a pitched roof:

Nov 21, 07 6:45 pm
mleitner

Pro flat roof:

Nov 21, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

lately i've been working on these houses with something like a 12/12 pitch that dumps onto a flat roof

Nov 21, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

I think it is interesting to see what effect the roof shape has on the design of the building. I would assume that a flat roof generally allows you to handle your plan more freely than a pitched roof. A pitched roof requiring a more regular footprint.

Having seen several image threads in this forum I have been overwhelmed with examples of architecture I have never seen before. Maybe someone can post an image that will prove my assumption wrong.

Nov 21, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
John Nastasi

In the latest Dwell. My first professor, had him for 4 semesters, and a friend. Dean of the PAL at Stevens...

Nov 21, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

vs

if zumthor doesn't have to decide, neither to i.

Nov 21, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Off hand:

I will throw up others, but I’ve got to hunch out some forms before the holiday.

Nov 21, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that's for mleitner

Nov 21, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

LOVE IT!

Nov 21, 07 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

it looks like it could be flat...

Nov 21, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

holz.box: that looks like a very expensive hallway
(I'm on affordable housing right now, no hallways)

Nov 21, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
pluk
http://www.image.com/373307829.jpg
Nov 21, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

sorry, still working on the image posting

Nov 21, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

here we go

Nov 21, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
pluk

just got the book, very nice!!!

Nov 21, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aaack I can't find the house image I want and it's making me nuts!!!

Nov 22, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
upside

no reason to be picky

Nov 22, 07 1:54 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

well, i don't have an image, but when the question is posed as a typological debate, i'm not sure it really allows you to explore the architecture in a 3-dimensional spatial manner because it assumes the roof is one piece of kit of discreet parts that make up a building. in the early twentieth century, modernists needed the visual cue of the flat roof to signify progress or the "new." those connotations no longer exist.

Nov 22, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I am torn between what looks best in elevation, from a human perspective, and what also looks good from above - flat roofs tend to look nasty from above. Sloped enough to shed water and flat enough to adhere to modern linearity is a delicate balancing act. You can cover sloping edges with parapets, etc...Imagine Tuscany with all flat roofs....or imagine Santorini with sloped roofs. I'm torn. Sloping a roof for the sake of historical reflection al la Post-modernism, however is contrived and plain-old silly if for no other reason.

Nov 22, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

And not to Drop the FLLW bomb, but he did find a way to express horizontality with the leading edge of sloped roofs, adjusting them to disappear when you were at the desired viewpoints....

Nov 22, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Nov 22, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
pluk

roof attack?...

(house attack by Erwin Wurm)
photo by wassmann found on flickr

Nov 26, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

how about no roof?

http://noroof.net/

Nov 28, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: