Archinect
anchor

Professional Opportunities for Dual Degrees

dano

I want to know if there is anyone out there working professionally that is actually utilizing their dual degree, what kind of work opportunities are available to people with a dual degree and whether or not it actually makes a difference and might be better to just get an MARCH and take some landscape studios.

I'm currently in the process of applying for architecture grad school. I am strongly considering the possibility of doing a dual degree in architecture and landscape architecture as my interests lie in work on projects that blend the natural landscape with built environment (large scale buildings rather than houses and gardens).

Nov 20, 07 1:06 pm
aquapura

I used to work at a multi-dicipline firm w/landscape. Couple of the LA's were dual-degree people. Unfortunately, in the larger firm atmosphere they were delegated to the landscape dept and didn't use the dual degree. My assumption is those that do truly use the dual degree are working in smaller outfits.

Nov 20, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

fresh out of undergrad i worked for a guy who ran the small arch group in an E&A firm; he had arch & landscape registrations and would practice in both areas.
i think it gave them an edge on RFP's and he obviously was in a much better position to make budget adjustments as necessary by shifting money from the building to the dirt or vice versa, as necessary.

Nov 20, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Today, I went cross-eyed tracing the metes and bounds of 44 acres of brownfield, then talked with the potential landscape consultant, same for the ecological consultant, and also the sustainable design/mep consultant. Later, I'm writing up the preliminary sustainable design analysis and elaborate on the projects program even more...

so where is the line between being an architect or landscape architect in my life?

I'm bringing green infrastructure to the project which would never have gotten it. Since its all masterplanning for the next few months, I don't care if I don't use cad or 'design' - just as long as I have better folks then me on the team.

This is all for an architecture firm. When I worked for LA firms, I detailed hardscape for the year or two... In architecture practices, I typically deal with grading, site placement and how the buildings meet the ground. Oh, a greenroof or two are always in the mix.

Dano, since you're new to archinect (welcome), I have an MLA/M.Arch from Penn & a BSArch from the KSA... Taking the LARE (2 passed) and finishing IDP (need a month or so of CD/DD to complete that sisyphusian challenge). I seem to know more then any architect about landscape and plants, more then any LA about buildings and materials, yet less then either about one or the other.

Nov 20, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Send me an email... I have a smallish firm where two of us are both Landscape Architects and Architects. I am registered in both while my associate is registered in Landscape Architecture only. We comfortably work across scales all day long with projects at all sizes and budgets. Probably the only stuff we don't do is small scale renos and gardens, tend to be too small for the us to look at. but as far as work goes its very dynamic, and the boredom quotiant is pretty minimal as the variety in project type and scale keeps things interesting.

Current projects range from large scale community planning projects, subdivisions, rezonings, multi family projects on challenging sites, civic parks and recreation buildings and a couple large custom homes.

Its was lots of school but it was enjoyable, never worried about finding work and the skill set was seen as a good desirable combination by both the private and public sector.

Nov 20, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: