Archinect
anchor

Architecture Movies

dotdotdot

I am a curious mind with a Netflix account, can anyone recommend movies relating to architecture?

Nov 19, 07 3:22 pm
4arch

try using the search feature. this has been discussed countless times in previous threads.

Nov 19, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
funkitecture

there is a good documentary on IM Pei
i dont really like his stuff that much but it is very good

the one on frank ghery is good too but a way different approach. i didnt even really like his work until i saw him on the movie. he is a very real person. human

there is a terrible movie called "belly of an architect" which i wish i could unwatch. fucking horrendous. some wanker with a belly ache who ends up doing himself in by jumping off the victor emmanuale monument onto someone's dinner table.

there is a documentary on louis kahn by his son. My architect. pretty cheesy but good info about lou.

Nov 19, 07 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

"Three Men and a Baby." Tom Selleck plays an architect, and the plot climax takes place inside a high-rise building under construction.

Nov 19, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

doesn't charles bronson play an architect in the "Death Wish" series?

Nov 19, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

flik or flix or remote... something like that...adam sandler is it.... he plays an architect and the role is perfect....... gets a bit deep in the end though

b

Nov 19, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Derrida4lyfe

LIG, yeah and in three men you can see the ghost with the shotgun in the background. Weird.;-)

Nov 19, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

You can't forget Michael Keaton in that summer thriller, "White Noise."

And for those with girlfriends, you will surely be sat down to watch "Because I Said So" where Mandy Moore has to choose between a musician and an architect. Needless to say the musician got the girl...

Nov 19, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

indecent proposal

watch woody harrelson do his dream house charcoal sketches on the floor while demi moore is out gardening

then harrelson teaches a class and rifles through slides in an architecture 101 class - the ronchamp slide is reversed oops!

plus hey, even a brick wants to be something

Nov 19, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

life as a house!

but the maya lin documentary is phenomenal.

Nov 19, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

but rent blade runner (obvious cliche of an answer) if you haven't seen it

Nov 19, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

yes, i love because i said so. the architect's too phoney tho.. i think he's modeled after ole scheeren. i bet if they model the character after joshua ramus, he'll get the girl ;)

Nov 19, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

belly of an architect is a brilliant film! Which unbeknowst to many is believed to be peter greenaways nod to Louis Kahn, and perhaps his most engaging film

Nov 19, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
BluLiteSpcl6321

OH YEAH, and that movie "The Perfect Score" about that high school student who didn't have good enough SAT scores to get into the School of Architecture @ Cornell. That was me...

So sad.

Nov 19, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Didn't Lebbeus Woods sue Terry Gilliam for the chair scene in 12 monkeys? That movie has lawsuits, architecture and Brad Pitt.

Nov 19, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
funkitecture

architechnophilia,
what were those people doing having dinner on the victor emmanuale monument anyway?

i just dont get it

some of the direction was decent i guess...kinda artsy...has some of the qualities i like about french films...but i just hated it

to each his own i guess
glad you liked it!

Nov 19, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
funkitecture

something about mary

"i'm an architect, but my real passion is working with retards!"

Nov 19, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
JsBach

The obvious architecture movie is "The Fountainhead" based on the Ayn Rand book. I just saw it recently and even though it tends to glorify architecture unrealisticly, I enjoyed the meaning of the story.

Nov 20, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

Architecture pops up in Seinfeld all the time. Apparently George did the new additional to the Gugg.

Also, there was a halfway decent L&W Criminal Intent that was focused on architects, although heavily stereotyped it was entertaining.

Nov 20, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

Law and Order not L&W doh

Nov 20, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 
Sean!
this is a good one!
Nov 20, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"they don't like white, like my shirt"

"looks like parmesan cheese...but you need special diamond teeth"

Nov 20, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

Although there are several entertaining movies that involve, or revolve around, architects (most of them mentioned above), by far, the most realistic, engaging and informative documentary is called Skyscraper. This documentary was done years ago (I'm thinking late 80's or early 90's) and appeared on public television. It is several hours long and documents the construction of an actual skyscraper in New York City from beginning of the design process all the way through construction. David Childs of SOM was the design architect. this is true "must see" TV for anyone involved in the design/construction business. Cameras are present at design sessions, design meetings with client (a developer), lenders, contractors, etc. Thumbnail interviews with everyone from David Childs to the junior designers and drafters working on the models and documents are interspersed throughout. In the most classic scene (for me, at least), a tense meeting is held for the purpose of telling the developer in the middle of construction that the project is now several million dollars over budget. A close-up of the developer's face at the moment the news is delivered shows one of his eyes start to twitch uncontrollably...just classic! Frankly, many scenes in this documentary will send chills down your spine because you will remember yourself in that exact same situation.

I have seen the multi-tape set available for purchase in public television retail stores (probably can be found on-line, also, but I have not looked). I would bet it is available on DVD by now, also If you are an experienced architect you will enjoy this documentary for its realism. If you are a student or less-experienced member of the profession, you will find this documentary spell-binding as a real look at what goes on during all those phone calls, meetings and construction site visits that you constantly see happening, but do not often get to participate in. Highly Recommended!

Nov 20, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

good call LE

can check it out at CMU, description:

Skyscraper
1990 290 min. Color
Looks at skyscraper design, development, and construction, tracing the process through the example of the Worldwide Plaza in NYC. INCA production for WGBH Boston and Channel Four London.
Vol. 1., "Rock and Paper", introduces the developer, architect and construction manager behind the Worldwide Plaza project in Manhattan and follows the early stages of design and construction.
Vol. 2., "Time and Money", shows the construction of the building frame and examines conflicts which arise between the building tenants, developers and architects.
Vol. 3., "Steel and Stone", features a time-lapse study of the assemblage of the steel framework and shows how complications with the building's stonework lead to further building delays and fees.
Vol. 4., "Copper and Diamond", traces the final steps of construction, including the last minute changes in the design of the roof. Includes a tour of the finished building.
Vol. 5., "Higher and Higher", chronicles the history of the American skyscraper, from its roots in Chicago and New York through its post W.W.II resurgence and development.
725.23 S629 (5v) VHS

Nov 20, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

Stourley Kracklite, the architect in The Belly of an Architect lands dead on the roof of a car after letting himself fall off backwards from the Victor Emmanuale Monument.

part of a quondam archinect thread:
top 5 movies with great architecture or regarding architecture

Nov 20, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Stay away from "The Architect". It was one of the worst movies I have ever been unlucky enough to waste an hour and a half of my time on. Its potential to talk about design flaws in housing project design was dwarfed by the ridiculous acting (including the girl from Heroes) and storyline.

"My Architect" was decent and "Sketches of Frank Gehry" was ok. Its more interesting how his whole operation works than how contextless his work is.

Nov 20, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
oliverL

the last kiss. zach braff playing some cringe worthy scenes as an architect.

Nov 21, 07 5:25 am  · 
 · 
207moak

The Trial
1962, directed by Orson Welles starring Anthony Perkins.
Captures Kafka's spatial themes pretty well.

Nov 21, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
Derrida4lyfe

Not 'Click'.

I second quizzical. Charlie Rose does some great architecture related interviews. Most of which are uploaded on youtube.

Nov 21, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
grauster

Do a google search for "Building the Gherkin" a great documentary about the design and construction, and approval, of the Swiss Re Headquarters in London.

Nov 21, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Keanu Reeves plays an Architect in the "the Lake House"

a movie my chick made me watch

Nov 21, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

The acting now seems dated, even comical, while the Interiors still appear timely.

Nov 22, 07 11:43 am  · 
 · 
voila_phil

I have a Netflix account, and it's great! Although they do have architecture DVDs, I often buy mine and add them to my collection.

I recommend My Architect: A Son's Journey, I.M. Pei, and E2:Design. There are a lot others out there too, but so far E2 is my favorite since I'm into sustainable design.

oh as d.fix said, Lake House has an architect Reeves, though the movie barely shows any architecture process. good yet sad movie.

Jan 21, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: