Archinect
anchor

Working for Tschumi

Has anyone worked in any form for Bernard Tschumi? I'm very interested in working for him this summer as a college intern (finishing my 3rd year) and have a lot of previous experience (3 different firms, 5+ years) but because I'm looking into working for my first "starchitect" I'm trying to research the quality of life I'd have working for whoever

Any comments are welcome. Thank you!!!

Nov 17, 07 12:43 pm
kylemiller

do you know how to draw follies??

Nov 19, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

... would i need to as an intern?

Nov 19, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
funkitecture

what the heck are follies?

you mean the musical?
can-can girls?!?

Nov 19, 07 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

The scarf?... oops. I thought this thread was about what's working for Tschumi.

funki, did you sleep through that day in history class?

Nov 19, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

"... would i need to as an intern?"

yes, i've heard that interns draw all of the follies.

Nov 19, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

in '83?

Nov 19, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

sadly, the follies department at his office isn't what it once used to be.

Nov 19, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
funkitecture

yeah, i must have slept thru that class. i had physics right before history and i must have crashed after the prephysics coffee buzz wore off

Nov 19, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
grid

funkitecture >> you're missing an important part of history. especially the entry that didn't win that competition.

Nov 19, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

grid, I was thinking follies, as in 19th century useless mini-buildings and other mini-structures for rich people.

funki, follies are 19th century useless mini-buildings and other mini-structures for rich people. Ha.

But seriously, they are smaller buildings that often were set to appear larger in their context - like little greek temple ruins in a garden that look big from far, or little bridges to cross creeks.

I like how the lawn continues right over this guy at Stowe Gardens:

Nov 20, 07 1:00 am  · 
 · 
garpike

jafidler, was there really a follies dept?

Nov 20, 07 1:02 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

;)

Nov 20, 07 8:38 am  · 
 · 
alucidwake

so can anyone who has actually worked for tschumi (and not the endless amounts of trolls on this forum) answer the original questions?

Nov 20, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

alucidwake, how many current and former employees of tschumi do imagine there are on archinect? if it weren't for us, "trolls," your thread would have sunken to the bowels of archinect. if anything you should be thankful for us bumping this on the remote chance that someone from his office may look in every now and then.

i think people imagine that rem and zaha actually read the discussion forum on archinect when it is really just a handful of regular interns and a few experienced architects, an even smaller number of whom have worked for a starchitect, that actually contribute the bulk of the responses.

all of these, "have you worked for a starchitect?" threads, all play out the same, about 20 snarky comments and rarely, rarely someone will pop up who actually worked there. one person. there's not a lot of discussion going on with one person, if there's even one. know how this thing works before laying on the people that actually keep the machine churning.

Nov 20, 07 8:58 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
tschumi your tits

anybody else remember that houston poster?...just a small piece of the old archinect that i doubt i'll ever forget

Nov 20, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
postal

perhaps some insight into the office culture?

Nov 20, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Lando

Postal, do you have any knowledge of the origin of that image?
That has NOTHING to do with the "office culture" that work arose out of a theoretical discourse in the late 60's.

Nov 20, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
alucidwake

yes. it has to do with the philosophy of his design, not his office

Nov 20, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 
postal

i know exactly what it is...

why would i think anyone pushing someone out a window would relate to anyone's office culture?

every time i think about tschumi this image pops into my head, i think you can see why, seeing as a lot of discussion around here is about working for starchitects with insane hours, low pay, this image in my mind becomes hilariously relevant.

geez...

Nov 20, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
stevegambini

postal, if you knew that, why would you ask such a stupid question, moron.

Nov 20, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

a friend of mine worked there back when the office was doing the student center at columbia. i wasn't in close contact with her at the time but it seemed like she worked long hours and spent months working out the detailing of the curtainwall/ramp at the center. i remember 1 conversation in which she was amazed that i was simultaneously managing 13 projects and she was overseeing that part of that single project. i think i was less stressed and worked fewer hours. it's just a different way of working.

Nov 20, 07 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

hmmm...I was once almost beat-up near one of those follies.
I had been taking some pictures of one...when a dude came up to me menacingly shouting in french to stop taking photos. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was, until I realized that under said folly a "transaction" was taking place.

luckily my bad french "je suis un touriste!" translated well enough.

No insights as to working for Tschumi though, just an another folly anecdote.

Nov 20, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

its not "folly", it's "folie".

big difference, as Bernie would say.

Nov 20, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké
here's

your chance to find out. let us know how it goes.

Nov 20, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
grid

These are the follies I had in mind.

Nov 20, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

yes, there are people who work for celebrity architects on archinect-so you have to watch what you say...even if it is the truth :(

Nov 28, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: