Archinect
anchor

3D RENDERING NYC

oslo

I'm eagerly seeking a rendering course (3ds preferred or form z)/tutor in the nyc area. anyone have any suggestions?

Nov 15, 07 11:02 am
med.

Just teach yourself the program... If that doesn't do it for you, teach yourself sketchup and then you will understand how all of the 3d programs work.

Nov 15, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
oslo

sketch up is a breeze, i'm concerned about lighting + material renderings.

Nov 15, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
med.

Okay. Another thing you can do which is what I do quite a lot is to make sketchup models in layers and then export them as autocad .dxf files. Then I import them onto 3ds max, plug in the texture maps to each appropriate layer, make all the lighting adjustments, and then render. It's just as good.

I don't even bother using any other modelers anymore besides for sketchup.

Nov 15, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
oslo

thanks for the advice, my only concern is that I would like to have a good handle on lighting techniques and materials, etc. and would like to take a course which elaborates on exactly that.

Nov 15, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

renderings? who has time for renderings...

Nov 15, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
oslo

the question really is why does everyone seem to have money for renderings and nothing else?

Nov 15, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
med.

The question really is.... Can you rephrase that question phonetically?

Nov 15, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
oslo

truly the most useful response i've received all day...i'm greatly indebted to you, thanks.

Nov 15, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Parsons and Coopers both have 3ds max classes in their continuing ed prorams

Nov 16, 07 4:05 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Answers:

No one has time for renderings, that's why I have a company

Everyone has money for renderings because that is what sells a project

oslo - check out the DVD tutorials out there. I'd put my money on them being better than a class (usually taught be true pros).

Go with the standards, at least for now: Max and Vray. I am curious how the new FormZ stacks up (long time fan, but I rarely model anymore).

Check out www.evermotion.org and Gnomon DVDs.

Nov 16, 07 8:23 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I second Gnomon and Evermotion. But if yo uare really itching to shell out some dough for a course I'd also recommend Cgarchitects VizMasters online courses too. I think they also published a book...

http://cgarchitect.vismasters.com/static/training/

Nov 16, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
jjh

form z with maxwell is amazing - extremely simple to create quality renderings. i have yet to find a better modeling program. i bought a book and learned to program on my own. once you get lighting figured out you will be set. i have been doing it for years and i don't know if i have completely figured it out.

Nov 16, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, I'd say I am about 2x times faster modeling in FormZ vs. Max.

How long does renderings take with FMZ/Maxwell? I am guessing ages, know Maxwell, but curious.

Anyone try FMZ's new GI?

Nov 17, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 
remonio

Oslo,
Just spend $25 and join Lynda.com instead of taking a course.

Trace,
Can you post a link to your company or images of your work?

Nov 17, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: