Archinect
anchor

Bauhaus Dessau School Bldg Font

simples

To all the Typography Glitterati out there, what font was used in the "Bauhaus" sign at their Dessau Building? It seems similar to ITC Bauhaus Medium, but it's not it; help?

Nov 14, 07 2:44 pm
simples

font for the "BAUHAUS" vertical sign seen here

Nov 14, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
bauhaus

Herbert Bayer of the Bauhaus School in Dessau, Germany, designed the inspiration for ITC Bauhaus, known as the Universal typeface, while he was teaching there in 1925. Ed Benguiat and Vic Caruso redrew the typeface in 1975. ITC Bauhaus is a rounded sans serif design whose forms were developed from the straight edge and compass. ITC Bauhaus can be used in period pieces reminiscent of the 1920s and the Art Deco era; its simple, clean lines and not-quite-closed counterforms make it noticeable in display settings.

Nov 14, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
simples

holz...that's what i thought at first, but there is always a "break" in the ITC Bauhaus font (Left side of the horizontal bar on "a") and the capital B has rounded edges...i don't think it's ITC Bauhaus

Nov 14, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that ain't it...

Nov 14, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

herbert bayer
bayer sans?

Nov 14, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
jpbos

I think that Bayer Sans is probably the closest (although the S is
not the same unfortunately):
BAYER SANS

P22 has a set of Bayer Fonts. Bayer Shadow was based on Bayer's drawings but for some reason a solid version is not provided:
Bayer set at P22
Click on the tab marked "singles" to view Bayer Shadow

Nov 14, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
simples

bayer sans is the closest i've seen yet...thanks for the help.

Nov 15, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

The S is the lower case S in Bayer Sans...

Nov 15, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
minimalicious

these type nerds could tell you...
http://www.typophile.com/

Nov 15, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I once asked a company for their font, and they replied "It's not a font. It's a logo."

It is possible that no exact font exists.

Bayer is much too thin...

Nov 21, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

could be a custom lettering job. did you ask the type gods at typophile? If they don't know they are sure to make you fell like an idiot anyway.

Nov 21, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: