Archinect
anchor

Good books on "Green" Construction?

standaman

Hi,
I'm planning to design a very small low-budget home soon and one of the requirements is to make it as "green" as possible within the proposed budget. Honestly I haven't been too interested in environmentally friendly design and need to learn a lot of the basics.

If you've had experience in this field, please recommend some good books for a eco-novice that provide practical information that I will immediately be able to implement in my design and not end up on my coffee table? For now, it will just be a schematic design, so it doesn't have to get too technical.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 07 5:55 pm
treekiller

I'm sure there is one good book, but I haven't the time to find it. Of the four publishers at greenbuild, three were aiming at homeowners/homebuilders. There is lots of free info available on the web, start with either the energystar or usgbc website (just be persistent, there is an overwhelming amount of info out there).

You have two choices on dealing with the budget, use almost typical materials in a greener way, or use alternate (& cheap!!!) materials like straw bales/adobe/rammed earth

Do us a favor and start reviewing all the sustainable design books you read - then we'll know which is the best!

So why are you suddenly interested?

Good luck!

Nov 13, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

tk,

those methods are only cheaper if you do it yourself or contract out cheap labor.

Nov 13, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

u r right, the materials are cheap, not the construction methods...

Nov 13, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it can be done w/ 2 people giving the proper tools, planning and time, though.

Nov 13, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

*given, not giving

Nov 13, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
spark

internet research - don't bother buying a book.

There's no magic to it. Do your homework and make wise choices.

Nov 13, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

Yes, I'm asking for guidance for homework, not magic. Spark, if you know any websites, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If "check on the internet" is all the advice you can provide....thanks anyway.

Books, websites, anything. All I need is a good point of a finger to get started. Thanks everybody. I'll be happy to provide reviews of what I read.

Nov 14, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
the energystar or usgbc website

to repeat myself.

also department of energy has lots of good basic information..

but what is your agenda for the house? no energy bills? healthy air? creating habitat?

Nov 14, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: