Archinect
anchor

How Happy Is Your City?

BabbleBeautiful

Excerpt taken from an article about Happiness, with good urban design being one of the factors. Does anyone know of this study? I'm intereted in seeing the data and method of data gathering.

Original article: http://health.msn.com/centers/mentalhealth/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100173391

Good Urban Design

What does urban design have to do with happiness? More than you might think.

“The data strongly suggests that real community and real friendships are important keys to happiness,” says Post. “Some cities make that possible in ways that others don’t.”

Post explains how urban design can facilitate social interaction—or work against it.

“Forty years ago, neighborhoods had sidewalks, front porches, and parks—geographical opportunities for people to be socially engaged,” he says. “In many communities today, we are lacking these things. We don’t know our neighbors anymore. We just get into our car pods and never see anyone. We no longer have the opportunity to stumble upon happiness by being good neighbors in our communities.”

Good urban design and effective mass transportation can also determine how much time we spend commuting to work, and how much time we spend behind the wheel of a car running errands—both of which ultimately impact the amount of time we have for joyfully engaging with friends, family, and community.

Nov 13, 07 5:06 pm
evilplatypus

My city has good hot dogs. I didnt see that on the list. The problem with sunny places is cant pee your name in the snow. Thats what makes me happy.

Nov 13, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i also dont see any mention of "Lake Breezes that cut at your skin like sharply serrated knives"
they make me happy

Nov 13, 07 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I do like lizards though, cant say we have any of those where I live. I guess we'll have to settle for squirles instead. Except theyre tails dont grow back. Poor fellows.

Nov 13, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

some squirels can fly. that is super cool. lizards can't fly.

where i live there are no porches, a few sidewalks, lots of trees, lots of tall buildings, and all the buildings are the same, enormous white boxes, distinguishable only by the 2 meter high numbers on their blank ends. according to the rhetoric it should be hell. but it isn't. best place i have ever lived actually. i know all of my neighbours in my building. except for the recluse on the ground floor. she doesn't like foreigners.

planning matters. people matter more. the article is conflating social issues with buildings and streets in a way that is dubious. planning is not a prediction for behavior. but it is a good excuse for a culture going south. like people being fat because the suburbs are designed poorly rather than more likely reasons, like diet or behavior.

Nov 13, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think my city is easy going. People are nice, open-minded and friendly.

Nov 13, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
ArchiNectar

fucking miserable

Nov 13, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

To get back to afrdzak's original question:

In the past forty years the way we live has changed what we expect our cities to be like. Today our neighborhood and community are no longer the focal point of our daily lives. People commute long distances to work, school or to meet friends.

While we may criticize this as environmentally detrimental, mourn the sprawling city, the point is: today's city is all about choice. We want to spend our evenings in that special bar, we want to spend our time with the people we know since high school or we want to go hiking on that specific trail.

Nobody is content with the limited amenities, social life and for that matter, thought of a neighborhood. We want to have it all!

Urban design and planning must accommodate for these needs and supply them in the most convenient and most environmentally friendly way. Too many nostalgic ideas of the 'good old city' inhibit the development of better cities. Only by accepting our society's need will we be able to plan better cities (and make people happier).

Nov 13, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Im happy cause i just found out that Phillipes, the home of the French Dipped sandwich, closes at 10pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 13, 07 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

my city envies other cities but is actually perfectly fine.

Nov 13, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I live in the Slurpee and Murder capital of Canada.

The city looks much better at night than during the day. I can't see myself staying here past graduation.

Nov 13, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

i luv slurpees.

Nov 13, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My city finds its greatest joy in being surly and miserable.

Nov 13, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

make sure you get your sandwich "double dipped" and geta slice of pie while you are there too, mdlr.

Nov 13, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dumb but happy, that's my city.

As to the notion of neighborhoods: I can say that despite my general dislike of Indianapolis, my neighborhood is insanely wonderful, like a Capra film of good neighbors, happy kids, walkable blocks, gardens, and overall goofy good-natured, yes, happiness.

Nov 13, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I don't live in a city anymore, and that makes me happy.

Nov 13, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I live in San Diego... and I know I'm going to get flamed for this and I don't care), but I don't like it here. The only reason I'm happy is because of the people I know and my family is here.

Nov 13, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

'sfunny slanstix. i was googlearthing/mapping thingy with partner to compare winnipeg with my partner's place in amsterdam and then comparing to our office in tokyo...surprisingly winnipeg looks nice from the air. trees all over the place, orderly planning...and amsterdam is kinda scary. and tokyo is just ....tokyo. amazing how the plan and the experience cn be so different.

Nov 13, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

working class...blues....wanting to be more....and I belive they will!
all the right moves are being made....and I'm comfortable with it....NOT!

Nov 13, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: