Archinect
anchor

Trying to figure out this window design type??

erutcetihcra

Hi, Im trying to get the literary word for these windows I've seen on a building. The bottom entrance level is constructed with concrete and the window design is not held by thick steel throughout the panes, Its like plexi-glass windows with metal latches that connect each other and molded peice by peice with a black tar like substance. Could someone help me explain this better, I want to add this to one of my model designs for a building and I wanted to see this structure in better detail on the internet if possible. Also is this type of structure only sturdy for straight up and down design or can it hold well under curved instances? Thanks.

Nov 13, 07 9:13 am
won and done williams

are you talking about spider clamps? if so, it physically works the same way as a standard curtain wall, just different connections and sealants. and it is definitely glass, not plexi.

Nov 13, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

are you talking about spider clamps? if so, it physically works the same way as a standard curtain wall, just different connections and sealants. and it is definitely glass, not plexi.

Nov 13, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
myriam

sounds like simple butt-glazed plate glass? The black tar-like substance you're talking about is just glazing sealant. You need that in every window, it's what "glues" the window in place in its frame. You can put pieces of glass end to end (called "butt-glazing") and run structural silicone sealant up between the panes; you could do this, segmented, on a curved wall, just depends on how tight your curve is, how thick your sealant is, etc. etc.

Glass is heavy so if you're going to do anything large-span (either vertically or horizontally) you will need to think of how you're going to support it. Here's an example:

Nov 13, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
erutcetihcra

Something like this, jfidler? I think these are the spider clips, almost what I'm looking for? The design I'm talking about does not have that much fasteners on it, but your steering me the right way, I'll keep looking

Nov 13, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 
erutcetihcra

Thanks Myriam, thats along the lines as well. Yes, that's what I was looking for, the sealant "butt-glazing." I was wondering if I had it at a curved angle, such as Calatrava's Spanish Building (just the bottom glass area) would it need more support than just the windows, it seems he pulled it off.

Nov 13, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 
erutcetihcra

Man, I'm not awake I meant to look at the top of Calatrava's window area, he has it heavily structured to hold the glass and building frame, I want to design a curve like that, but without all that heavy structure, probably not possible. Thanks again.

Nov 13, 07 10:17 am  · 
 · 

you can use glas structurally instead of the steel, depending on the application. there are lots of ways to do things depending on what you have in mind.

in calatravas example the structure is also to accomodate the open span of the space and not so much for the glass. the glass is sort of irelevant, so to speak.

Nov 13, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
http://www.jcdainc.com/
Nov 13, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

was gonna say the same as jump. the glass and the structure are two diff. things. you'd have to give us more info on your building for us to have a better guess of how much/ what kind of structure you might want to use.

Nov 13, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

...word on the street is that spider clips cost about $500 each. damn.

Nov 13, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: