Archinect
anchor

Prefab Warehouse w/Interior Build-Out?

ArchiNectar

So, I get a call from a potential Client today...Fantastic = More money!
They own a Factory in a Chicago Suburb which has alot of adjacent vacant land onto which they would like to expand their operations.
They want to build a simple 9000 SF prefabricated/pre-engineered metal warehouse, and within one corner locate a couple of offices, bathrooms, kitchenette, and mezzanine conference room above....Simple enough, I've done it a few times before, but never independently and have no idea where to begin with structuring a fee. It would be for Architectural services only - Permit/construction drawings, Permit corrections (if necessary), shop drawing review with CA a line item option hourly. MEP by others, Structural by Prefabricator....
I guess what I am asking is whether anyone has done anything similar, and what the fee was roughly?
P.S. I am an Archinect veteran and have changed my name for anonymity...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 12, 07 6:45 pm
ArchiNectar

bump..anyone? Or do we all do single-family homes on wooded sites for wealthy clients?

Nov 13, 07 7:47 am  · 
 · 

sounds like you're already there. you could either:

1) write a proposal for hourly not-to-exceed.

2) figure out what you would normally do with all the normal consultants, discount their fees since their part will be design/build but add back in a percentage for your coordination of their work.

like any project, you just have to try to anticipate how much time you'll have in it. just because you don't have to shepherd the mep and structural consultants throughout the project doesn't mean your work with the people doing that work won't be about the same.

if you're looking for a straight %age: it ain't that easy.

Nov 13, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 

hello archinect veteran...

I can understand the difficulty as warehouses tend to be kind of blah structures, with straightforward work inside. Unlike SW I would suggest using a standard percentage (lower for the building type) of the total likely cost and determine how long all of it would take for the precontract, doing hourly rates once it gets to planning and construction. Make it something juicy so they keep calling like $45 to $75hr

Nov 13, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
ArchiNectar

Thanks alot for the advice. I think I may begin with a Cost/SF, like $2-$2.50/SF, then consider how long this will actually take. Of course there is a zoning analysis, client meetings, etc. that will eat up alot of time before drawing even begins. Most of my jobs are a balancing act of how much I expect to make per hour. Hmm.
Thanks for the input so far, I have several days before I need to come up with a number. The breakdown will likely be:
PreContract: Feasability/Zoning Analysis=Lump Sum (Based on anticipated time)
Schematic/DD/Permit/CD's=Lump Sum (As above)
CA=Hourly as needed.
I've always felt that if e are making less than 75-100.00 an hour on this stuff it's a waste of time.

Nov 13, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

sometimes I get clients wanting a barn, large garage, and undustrial use building. I refer them to my friend who is a rep for Wick Buildings- pre-engineered building packages. I get a kickback.

I usually tell the client, let me make is look good , make the plan work, and you 'll get a good package deal including structurals with Wick. Some companies specialize in steel or wood structure. They send every thing the client need and its engineered in house.

Nov 14, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
ArchiNectar

PS, LB...let me know if you need to get in touch with a Moraccan importer.

Nov 14, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
ArchiNectar

Thanks Form...and disregard the misplaced morraccan post!

Nov 14, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: