Archinect
anchor

question about interning in NYC. done it before, looking for more (conceptual, design)

hey all.

i've been thinking more and more about where to intern next summer. i live around new york city so i figured that would be a good place. to give you some work background...

[current] I am currently a 3rd year architecture student at rensselaer polytechnic institute studying in the honors program in Rome.

[past] my first architecture job was the summer going into 10th grade, where i worked for a mid size architecture/interior design firm in chinatown, nyc. worked only for a summer but still retain a good connection to a partner who recently left the firm. mainly did VERY basic cadding and general office stuff

i then worked locally for about 3 years working in an educational firm, learning how to cad and all of that fun stuff. i dubbed this place "the place where design goes to die". didn't learn much other than how to cad, as it was an educational firm. did cadding and office stuff

then last year i worked at a small design firm on the lower east side, which was really my first exposure to a DESIGN architecture firm. it was a great experience, very small (4 people), we also had an exhibition space which i helped with. it started getting conceptual at the end which they let me do and i loved it. did model building, conceptual research, cadding, office stuff.

that brings me to now. i want to work at a very design oriented firm in new york city. size does not REALLY matter but i wouldn't mind it being at least 15+ people, but largeness does not matter (i actually WANT to work at a LARGE firm to see that side of architecture which i have never seen).

I am also a very conceptual person, and are very interested in CONCEPTUAL design.

In my initial thinking based not off of what i want to work for just who, i was thinking (as i have minor connections at a bunch of these places)

kohn peterson fox (have a very far-fetched connection here and i like the work enough to feel like i would be happy working here. a little conservative in design though (compared to DESIGN firms, even though i could be wrong!))
pelli clark pelli (strong connection but dont really want to work here)
shop (no connection :/)
dillard + scofidio (no connection but a mentor of mine used to work there, could probably write a recommendation)

can anyone recommend any firms that more closely fit the wants of my summer-internship? conceptual, design, and big + corporate is perfectly ok

thank you guys so much for your help!!!

Nov 11, 07 5:04 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: