Archinect
anchor

Architecture schools in the UK...How do they work?

neverspeaketh

I am a student in the US that is rounding off his undergraduate degree and starting to apply to graduate schools. My degree program is not a B.arch but just an Arts and Science degree with a heavy concentration on architectural history, theory, and studio arts and only a little studio work. In the States I will fall under the category of "First Professional" degree at grad schools and will be there for about 3 years. My question, though, is about how I would fit in to RIBA certified schools in the UK, if at all. I know students earning a B.arch can by jumping through a few hoops but I have found little to no information about this scenario and have contacted and found little feedback from a few schools in the UK, the Bartlett and the Mac to name a few. Does anyone out there truly know anything of this circumstance and would it be worth it in my situation. Going to graduate school in the US is only 3 years for me. Would I have to start over in the UK with their undergrad and follow suit with the year of professional study, diploma, and another year of professional study? Or does my concentration in architecture warrant me some advancement? Sorry if any or all of this is confusing but this is a subject that I have wrested with for a while. Thanks to all replies.

Nov 11, 07 2:19 pm
TED

this topic has been exhausted on archinect - do a search

basicly uk does not recognize any us degree [thanks in part to NYgo who block reciprocity] so you would have to sit part i application [look at arb web site] then apply and take part II which is a min 2 years - you get a diploma - thera are some 2+ programs that are part II but a masters is awarded

there is no reciporcity for uk license arch to the US - so you would go through hell via ncarb upon your returen

you would pay overseas fees at any uk university [unless your british] EU nationals who have lived outside the EU for any time 3 years prior to starting school pay overseas fee -- so just go to the AA instead -

get you MArch in the states and apply for a 12-18 m grad program after - unless you are going to live in the UK [for ever] its not worth the hassle.

Nov 12, 07 4:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: