Archinect
anchor

DiY Architectural Software for a Client

ff33º

I have a client who wants to do his own house plan using one of those cheesey softwares, and then have me complete the design.

Does anyone know of a low end software that is compatible with autodesk products? I have the plans in .dwg that I can give him, but not sure if he import it. Anyone out there done this with a client before?

Nov 8, 07 9:04 am
crowbert

P&P design tools are compatible with anything.

(that's pencil and paper)

Nov 8, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Eh, there are one issue to reconise, --- there are a lot of unlicenced software out there, and sometimes you wonder, wonder why potential users of a particular software couldn't even get it to work well enough, so they could profit from the fabrication , but no and you are as surprised every time you see this happen, and offcaurse their designs are often cramped, ---- but even one had the ideal design tools , to calculate a lazy framework , then would you -- allready if the client are working with cheap copies, how good a design can it be no ; if you want a house, you don't design it yourself, even you are a designer tell them, that it is simply a bad idea, and a wonder in 3dh is much much much better, than your own design , then it is better having a choice, and trust profesionell to Deliver.

Nov 8, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

i like to recommend a pirated copy of rhino, dp, or catia for clients wishing to draw up their own plans; then turn them loose with the cnc plasma cutter and rapid prototype modeler. I only charge a .05% fee, stamp out a set and then take all the liability!

Nov 8, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i recommend punch! home design software. i used to use myself when i was in grad school...i give the program bonus points because it annoyed my teachers

Nov 8, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

ahhh, puddles, that's how you made those sweet graphics. i gotta try that.

Nov 8, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

You guys are a bunch of comedians and philosophers. Thanks puddles.

Nov 8, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

it is amazing that there are like a dozen or so software for just such scenarios

Nov 8, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

There is no reason why the guy cant try to do a plan he likes on his own first. He doesn't know standard dimensions, so a cheesey software would at least help him manage his scale of plans quickly. I think we have all had to explain to clients why their little sketches don't work out or their grand visions won;t fit, ...at one time or another. ... And there is no reason why I would know details about these "dozens of softwares", and particularly if they are compatible with any pro apps. So I asked here... first,.... to see if any you pros have done something similar....

Nov 8, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i wasn't joking, i think the software is great...maybe even better than autocad.

Nov 8, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
mkokimoto

How about Sketchup? It's free, legal, and it takes autocad?

Nov 8, 07 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
xacto

sketchup is free...its pretty hard to draft but i guess it depends what the guy is doing.

Nov 8, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

it's not nearly as bad as when my girlfriend's dad asked me to find him a pirated copy of "3D home architect pro"

I sent him sketchup

Nov 8, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I know puddles, ..I appreciate ya ..

Sketchup might work...I wonder of it has toilet blocks and shit though. haha....

<I have had several clients over the years ask me if there was software that let them tinker with plans themselves.>

Nov 8, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
manamana
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/
Nov 8, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Just have him stand behind you and dictate while you draft his dream home.

Nov 8, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

no, you see,..all joking aside, ... its just the opposite

Nov 8, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

Honestly, there is really no reason to fear letting a client turn loose their "inner architect"...most likely they won't get very far and realize that there was a reason the hired a professional. some of them might find it challenging enough to actually appreciate what you do...and for those people who allow the software to convince themselves that they are talented...well, then they've just identified themselves as someone that you don't want to work with. Drawing, much like talking, is just a form of communication...and as a professional you can use this to your advantage.

Nov 8, 07 9:01 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

"Drawing, much like talking, is just a form of communication" YEP!

Oct 11, 20 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: