Archinect
anchor

The Cost of A Spec

wurdan freo

Seen mucho posts about $ for putting together a drawing set. Any ideas on how to charge for spec writing other than hourly?

Nov 8, 07 12:42 am

spec writing? ugh, get paid in alcohol.

Nov 8, 07 7:09 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The big question is: are you doing this yourself, and if so do you have a template to work from? And how big is the project, and will it be a hard competitive bid, or a negotiated construction cost? And are there non-standard materials, or is it typical construction methods?

So really the big question is: What more can you tell us about this project? ;-)

Nov 8, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Good morning Steven. i did a little residential spec two nights ago and I love doing it...but it's not a real spec, just outline, about four pages long, plus cut sheets.

Nov 8, 07 7:11 am  · 
 · 

i seem to be the school project, medical project, and logistics project spec writer for the office. i haven't done one lately that was less than two 2" thick volumes. (like i said, wurdan, alcohol.)

Nov 8, 07 7:39 am  · 
 · 

morning, lb!

Nov 8, 07 7:39 am  · 
 · 
some person

Three words for you: outside spec writer. It's like a vacation to a tropical island....aaaahhhhhh. Umbrellas in the drinks and everything.

In all seriousness, for larger projects ($20 million +), outside spec writers are well worth the money. ($7k to 15k, if I had to hazard an actual guess.) The more detailed and specific to your project that a spec is, the easier your job will be during CA. Well...getting the GC to adhere to all of those requirements can be tedious, but worth it in the end.

Nov 8, 07 8:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you could write your spec on spec.

Nov 8, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 

spec writing is actually something i hate BUT think it's impt to do in house.

we use outside spec writers sometimes but what i've realized is how much of the definition/control of the project we give up by using them. i spend so much time reviewing their specs and correcting things based on how i've learned things should go that i might as well just write them.

since, by most sets of contract docs the spec takes precedence over the drawings, its sucks to have a section of spec that some hired gun wrote shown to you in argument for why your detail was ignored.

Nov 8, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 

thanks for the tip, of. another tip: the v.a. (yes, veterans administration) boilerplate specs are a great place to start a specification and they're available online for free!

Nov 8, 07 8:43 am  · 
 · 

well that's true of anything you do, not just specs.

Nov 8, 07 8:54 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Wow! Thanks for all the input. I will definitely negotiate booze in the contract.

I'm sitting at my desk pondering the proposal and it dawns on me that, while I've done many freelance jobs where drafting was the scope or the project did not require a spec, I've never written a spec before. Let alone do I know how to charge for one. Having read 3,4,5, even 6" specs back to back and gotten into the ring over clauses like,

"Location of outlets and equipment as shown on drawings is approximate, and exact location is to be verified and shall be determined by:

Construction or code requirements.
Conflict with equipment of other trades.
Equipment manufacturer's drawings."

I understand how important they can be. It seems to me that a well written spec can take just as long as the preparation of the construction documents which basically doubles my square foot cost.

A few more details.

Hybrid Fee Structure
1. Hourly for PD, SD, DD
2. SF for CD (This is where I am anticipating the spec cost) Maybe this should be a lump sum?
3. Hourly for CA/CM.

The Project
1. +/-1000 sf office addition
2. I will be outsourcing the spec with the "good intentions" of reviewing it in depth and editing. (My dad - architect - semi-retired)
3. I will be outsourcing the drafting with the "good intentions" of reviewing it in depth and editing. ( A friends firm)
3. New Client

Thanks again for the resources. They should be a huge help as I anticipate this to be a small, straight forward specification.

If I get the job!!!

And this one might be for the insurance agent. Do i have to pay for the insurance while I'm working on the drawings or the day before I issue the construction docs? Have gotten quotes on insurance, but since I've had only two jobs fall through, have not purchased it yet.

Back to the day job.

Nov 8, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: