Archinect
anchor

Chicago arch. firms

Does anybody know anyone that works or has worked with firms like Studio/Gang, John Ronan, or Krueck and Sexton, all based in Chicago. Just interested in finding out alittle more about them maybe from an inside perspective.

Nov 6, 07 4:55 pm
stevegambini

yes

Nov 6, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

use the search tool, this has been discussed hundreds of times. im sure you'll find tons of useful information

Nov 6, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Third Conchord

Ok, maybe I wasnt specific enough. Would you mind and anybody else mind telling me alittle more about what its like working in any of these offices. Things like office atmosphere, responsibilities of younger architects and interns, how everyone is treated, whats the pay like, how involved does everyone get with designing, etc. I'm interested in possibly working for firms like these but would like to know alittle more of what it's actually like rather than just reading how they have a really good design approach, etc.

Nov 6, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
ether

I'd like to reiterate what lletdownl said above. Trying searching the vast thread archives using the search tool. These firms you mention have been talked ad nauseum.

Nov 6, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

that too has been discussed but ill tell you what i know... just warning you though you might not get much feedback on this

as far as those offices go, i know/have heard most about gangs and k/s office. Gang's office is said to be laid back sorta casual but intense. lots of hours worked for very little pay... which is very typical for small firms such as gang. the sacrifice you make is the ability to work on really interesting projects and the potential to get involved early and often. as far as working at gang, i dont know if they are hiring but they tend to hire (as do almost all firms) from a pool of people with connections to the office. former students, friends of former students, ex office mates etc etc. though they do hire on occasion outside that pool, its much easier for a small firm like that to trust the people they have to bring in quality people... thats the impression ive gotten from a friend or two thats worked for them.

k/s are another small firm with a semi laid back atmosphere but very intense... i dont know anyone there anymore but have heard in the past that its as much a slave ship as an office... not much chance to branch out, its a machine more or less run by the higher-ups. again, they wont pay much... but it seems to me in any small firm, if you have any ambition and you get yourself involved, you would find it a rewarding experience... as they do good work

dont know much at all about ronan's office other than what i know about him as a prof. but im guessing it runs much like any small design office.

these are all IIT people your talking about btw... any particular reason why?

Nov 6, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Does anyone know what happened to Doug Ross? Is he still practicing?

Nov 6, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

theres a small residential firm called Studio Dwell that does some interesting work.

Nov 6, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Third Conchord

No reason lletdownl....I really didnt even think about the connection to IIT. I didnt go there either. These are just a fews firms that have really sparked my interest recently. Thanks for the input though.

Nov 6, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
postal
http://www.rossarchitecture.com/

i would guess so... but i have no information otherwise... (i too have been researching small firms in chicago for reasons my boss would not approve of)

did you know mr. ross?

Nov 6, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

There are only 9 people in Chicago that are not connected to IIT.

Nov 6, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

studio gang has 30 employees counting the principals thats a lot of people considering they've got about four buildings. this means one thing to me. low/no pay.

Nov 6, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I can't imagine working in an office full of trust-fund babies...Is that what they mean when they say Architecture is a noble profession? Reserved for nobility?

Nov 6, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

marimba, i know at least 20.
studio dwell has completed some really interesting projects.

Nov 6, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
there's these guys
Nov 6, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Archinecture

i think that studio dwell has one asethetic and it is exhausted in every project.

Nov 6, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
ether

postal, i do and that website is about 7 years out of date.

Nov 7, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 
postal

... all right, well i will adjust my prospective firm list accordingly...

Nov 7, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

Right on Vado ... Brininstool + Lynch is my fav. firm in Chicago. I interviewed there ... good people, from what I gathered in about an hour.

Nov 7, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

Most of StudioDwell's stuff is really nice. However, they did some new condos by my place @ Leavitt+Division and some stuff looks less than great ... like the metal oil-canning and such.

Nov 7, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Ive noticed that too - same thing happens on the wilkenson blender projects - thats value engineering on the bidders side most likely. You get what u pay for.

Nov 7, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Yes, do you have another source of income to subsidize your continuing education? At Krueck & Sexton, you'll work extremely hard, but learn to both design and detail buildings exceptionally well. If you go to Studio Gang, you'll learn how to do design sketches for Loewenberg firm, the architect-of-record for those mediocre Lakeshore East condo towers. In either office you'll be anonymous, and there's little opportunity for true advancement in such small firms. If you have the fortitude to do Chicago's version of "star architect" experience, go to Krueck for the beneficial full-caffenated experience and skip the decaf at Studio Gang.

Nov 7, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Yes, do you have another source of income to subsidize your continuing education? At Krueck & Sexton, you'll work extremely hard, but learn to both design and detail buildings exceptionally well. If you go to Studio Gang, you'll learn how to do design sketches for Loewenberg firm, the architect-of-record for those mediocre Lakeshore East condo towers. In either office you'll be anonymous, and there's little opportunity for true advancement in such small firms. If you have the fortitude to do Chicago's version of "star architect" experience, go to Krueck for the beneficial full-caffenated experience and skip the decaf at Studio Gang.

Nov 7, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

sexton indicated to me in an interview that if i did indeed get hired there there would be a period of what amounted to deprogramming/reprogramming of me to be able to approach design the way they did.. i guess the 'correct' way.

"..you mean like going to the pictures?"

Nov 7, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

I think they mean the "mies way" only three times removed. still nice work. that's too bad about the slave attitude. I guess no one talks about Garafalo these days?

Nov 7, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Third Conchord

Interesting perspective chicagowoman. I kind of envisioned Gang as more of a place that for a majority of projects is mainly the design architect and hands off some of the grunt work to someone else, like Loewenberg, but wasnt sure if this was really the case? They do have alot of smaller projects that seem like they would handle all aspects themselves. Or is this the type of office where everyone focuses so much on perfecting all design aspects and not so much time on how everything actually works and is detailed? In certain cases, especially on smaller projects, it seems that these two things should go hand in hand.

I also dont really know if its about the advancement for me. My real interest is the interaction with a truly experimental, well investigated, well collaborated system of design. Furthermore, (and I dont know how much truth their is behind this) in a smaller office it would seem that everyone has alot more opportunity to engage in a variety of aspects of several projects, regardless of advancement. I work for a much larger firm now and I kind of feel that if I worked here for like 4 years and keep waiting and waiting for some type of advancement it would be equivalent to working like 2 yrs at a smaller office. Does that make any sense or am I just blabing?

Nov 8, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

I think that advancement and full exposure to all elements of architectural process is more likely to occur in a large firm for a motivated person. You do need to demonstrate to firm that you are interested in advancement AND you are hardworking, talented, team-player, presentable, etc. And you need to actively monitor your assignments to make sure you're on your intended career path. And politely but persistently lobby for those assignments that most interest you.

Look hard at your current firm, and see what you can do to improve your situation. "Grass always greener on other side" is so true for architectural firm comparisons. Your firm may already have the ability to expand your scope, but you may need to pro-actively search it out. This was my experience.

"Star-architecture" often doesn't reflect real-life architectural practice. Eventually young interns at "star offices" need to find employment with a living salary, insurance, and benefits to support themselves and their families. (Unless you're a trust fund baby, etc.) Their transition can be quite bumpy.

Also, I've seen young architects at non-star-arch firms who think they "walk the talk", yet foundering. They aren't able or willing to focus on their assigned work, can't/won't take responsibility, and won't put their full effort and hard work into project, particularly preparation of construction documents and understanding detailing. I see/hear of young architects who need constant close supervision, have little knowledge or interest in how buildings are put together, who spend time e-mailing/instant messaging/tuned-out in studio, and then wonder why they feel stalled in their "advancement". They're posturing as "architect", and don't recognize the truly significant amount of sheer labor needed to learn "nuts and bolts" of profession, that architectural education is relatively irrelevant to architectural practice, and that practice is far less glamourous than as portrayed.

Nov 8, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Lando

It also depends on the person and the firm.....

Nov 8, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

handing the grunt work off to someone else...yeah right.

Nov 8, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
ether

I'm trying to get in touch with Doug Ross of what was once Ross Architecture (see above posts). If anyone knows how I can get in touch with him will you please email me. Thanks!

Dec 10, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
ether

I should mention that all of the contact info posted on his website is no longer current.

Dec 10, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
psteiner
http://www.insidearch.org/home.php
Dec 10, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

If you're going for Chicago, don't forget to think about Stanley Tigerman, Murphy/Jahn, and SOM.

Dec 10, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
postal

hey ether... just got the latest archpages from AIA illinois... i think i recall his address was changed in there... i will try to find and forward

Dec 11, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks postal!

Dec 11, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: