Archinect
anchor

Quick Advice needed

Archlafesh23

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently an Arch. Grad student and I need some advice for my Professional Practice course. Long story short - the class is designed for each student to present a powerpoint at the end of the semester which is an accumulation of all of the research that we have done.

It is divided into 3 sections: Business structure, practice, etc. Within these topics are subtopics which have to have individual "themes" or learning objectives. Right now I am stuck on a learning objective for "Services" and "Building Type" Any suggestions? I know these is an open ended question but it would be helpful if any one has any interesting questions to pose relating to these topics in the contemporary practice. Also note, that the topics do not need to correlate to one another. They can easily stand alone.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 07 10:21 am

need more info.

is 'services' referring to architectural services? like the services we provide? the less obvious services (not design, documentation, construction obs) might be estimating, programming, post-occupancy evaluation, surveying existing conditions, development of specifications, leed management, etc.

'building type' sounds pretty obvious. any building type in which you're interested. but what does that have to do with professional practice class? so if i dig deeper i think, well, schools are a type which have to be handled in a different way from other projects, including working with bond issues, sometimes construction management, interaction with the state's dept of education, etc. so if you pick a building type (schools, labs, airports, churches, etc) then your semester of research might be about what makes the management of those projects different from 'normal'.

Nov 6, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Archlafesh23

Steven,

Thanks for the quick response. Both services and building type are under the heading "Description of Company"...in the long run we are supposed to have these well researched objectives and then relate it back to a specific firm. So yea...I needed more info. for this assignment too lol. I think even our program director is a little confused as to how this assignment will play out, thats why I'm polling those in the field for some critical ideas under these subheadings.

Specifically I'm studying office prototyping (or the possibility of it). So maybe I'll look in the direction of Office as my type (that was an easy decision). Any beginning thoughts on what makes this management style unique?

Nov 6, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 

'office prototyping' sounds like a way of saying "speculative commercial real estate development". or am i misunderstanding?

probably a good thing about which to learn but also a deep soup. we should all learn more about commercial real estate, but i'm not sure a semester of professional practice is going to get the job done.

maybe connect with a local architect who does it and interview them about how their services get adapted. first thoughts: fees based on square footage of interior build-out instead of cost of construction? help developer with cost/income analysis? interaction with a builder/developer as client? is developer also management company (for life-cycle costing considerations)...

Nov 6, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: