Archinect
anchor

Mini-trip to DC

mad+dash

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to DC and was hoping for a couple leads for cool buildings to visit. I'd rather bypass the white house, monuments, and etc.

any help or links would be great. I checked that google map tour in the features section and there wasn't too much in this direction.

thanks.

Nov 5, 07 4:53 pm
Workshop B

finnish embassy (as well as a few other embassies). The newseum might be finished by Polshek. National Building Museum is an obvious one. These may all be on the google map...not sure.

Nov 5, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

sadly there's not much to see here... but you could stick to all things swedish. check out the ambassador's residence and then check out the embassy while sucking down a drink at the god awful georgetown harbor.

Nov 5, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Maya Lin's Vietnam Memorial.

Probably one of my favorite pieces of architecture.

Nov 5, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

sweet!
I am also going to be in DC, and for some reason was waiting for, i dont know when to post my similar request...

i'm down for art and design-type sights or museum recommendations. i've browsed through the NFT website, but didn't find too much.

unfortunately i dont think the newseum will be done yet (which is presonally frustrating because i wanted to visit it roughly 4 years ago when it closed for relocation.)

also, anyone want to be my buddy and go see prefuse 73 w/ me while i'm there (nov. 22- dec. 3), apparently it's not something my brother is willing to get into.

Nov 5, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

I second the Finnish Embassy, it's my favorite building in DC.

Nov 5, 07 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
brickmaster

I would recommend getting a library of congress card and going to the various reading rooms or just visit the areas open to the public. You also need to dress warm and spend time in the outdoors. I would disagree that there is little to see, it just comes in less than obvious forms. The National Arboretum is also decent. You could check out the National Cathedral as well.
Finnish embassy is pretty nice, but not really DC. I would also recommend the Smithsonian and National Zoo. Things in DC tend to operate on the larger scale. Get to the Capital and view the landscape.
I second the Vietnam Memorial along with the reflecting pools, etc.
If it's nice going to the Waterfront or Adams Morgan is at the very least an experience.

Nov 5, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Check out the Hirshhorn Museum. It's the Smithsonian's modern art collection. Unlike most of the other Mall museums, it's not overwhelmingly huge and touristy and can easily be walked through from top to bottom in less than 2 hours. It's my favorite museum in DC and also my favorite building on the Mall.

Definitely recommend the National Building Museum as well.

Nov 6, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I <3 the Hirshhorn. (it's on my Google map, btw, stinky+carpenter) Currently, there is a great Morris Louis show on view. A definite must-see.

Nov 6, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: