Archinect
anchor

Schools "opening up" to community use

laura356

I am carrying out a study on the thermal performance of a school, including future climatic scenarios.
I would also like to include some scenarios of changing occupancy patterns due to shared facilities/community use/extended hours of teaching etc. I am mostly interested on the possible impact of these changes on the thermal performance of the building envelope.
Does anyone know any studies on these issues?

Thank you in advance.

Nov 5, 07 12:01 pm
el jeffe

how does a change in use affect the thermal performance of the envelope?

Nov 5, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

as long as you shut the door behind you, you should be fine

Nov 5, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

el jeffe, hours of use maybe? If it's a dual use facility, it may be a school during weekdays, have community events/meetings in the evening and religious services on Sunday.. that many more hours during which the building has to be heated/cooled... and the thermal systems would, of course, perform differently in nighttime versus daytime hours, morning/afternoon use etc. I think you just have to work it out. Check out the way Ken Yeang diagrams time-cycle-related thermal impacts on buildings.. it's pretty cool... not for schools, per se, perhaps, but on mixed-use spaces, public spaces, etc. .. any of his books/folios.

Nov 5, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
laura356

thank you urbanist :)

Nov 6, 07 7:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: