Archinect
anchor

Boss's ignorance

evol

Hi all,

I just wanted to know if this is a normal behaivor in the field of design, that a boss starts to ignore its employees when the time is ripe for an annual salary review? I have worked in this firm for over a year now, and actually 1 year and almost 2 months, in contract it says that there should be a "review" after a year. But no review yet... and the boss is acting weird. I tried to remind him about 3 weeks ago, and he appologized and said that my review will be tomorrow morning first thing... but still no review, and for the past three weeks its the same thing "sorry tomorrow morning, tomorrow first thing in the morning".

Give you guys give me some advice on how should I approach this situation? Should I wait or should I keep reminding about my review?

Nov 4, 07 7:32 pm
WtfWtfWtf™

Take the initiative to write a self-evalution / performance review and place it on his/her chair...it's an opportunity to put into writing just how valuable you are.

Nov 4, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

As a start, your view that this is "ignorance" doesn't bode well for the relationship.

However, that "chip" notwithstanding, it's well known that designers of all sorts tend to HATE giving reviews - doubly so when the employee is not performing well. Regrettably, we are a profession of non-confrontationalists. But, that is the reality - and you'll probably be the same when you're the "boss".

If you can get past your cynicism and realize that this individual is simply human and, like all humans, avoids the unpleasant or uncomfortable as long as possible, my advice is to keep the reminders coming - in a very polite and positive manner.

Good luck.

Nov 4, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

..that your screen name is 'love' spelled backwards (might) suggest thet you are a pushover. Nice guys/girls finish last - get your ass in there and command that raise.
Love,
Redael

Nov 4, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
You don't have to touch it to know...
Nov 4, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
modularnyc

Yes, just take the initiative, stop being passive, and demand it and put it in writing, thats is the only way.

Nov 4, 07 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

And whatever raise you get, if any, should be retroactive to your one-year anniversary. Otherwise it looks like the boss is stalling for time so that he can save a few bucks.

Nov 4, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

i met some starchitects who are hardcases, but i know a few who are also quite cool and genuine. nice guys and gorls don't always finish last.

but speaking up is not a crime or a misedemeanor. quizzical has it right. gentle reminders are useful. being so negative about your boss maybe not so good. hopefully it doesn't go both ways or you could be in trouble. ;-)

Nov 5, 07 1:46 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

let me add another perspective. some firms do reviews well - some don't - the easiest thing in the world is to go into a review unprepared - to prepare properly takes some time, which can be scarce at times.

our firm does reviews well. we have a well defined process. our reviewers are well trained. we take a lot of time getting ready - so, when we're busy (as we are now) reviews will tend to back up a little.

but, we do make raises retroactive to the employment anniversary, so the employee doesn't suffer (other than frustration) when the review is a little late. we think it better to do the review thoroughly, rather than just "on time".

I don't know whether your employer does reviews well or not, but there are legitimate reasons that can cause a review to be late. try to have an open mind about the delay - but keep the issue in front of your boss too - he'll come around.

good luck.

Nov 5, 07 6:39 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I don't think it's unusual for an "annual" review to be late in this business. Usually it has more to do with a heavy work load and no time to devote to HR burdens. I worked at a place that once waited nearly 6 months to give me a review. The raise was retroactive, so I got one huge paycheck. Still I understand how frusturating that is. I actually left that firm when I was overdue for a review. Although not the sole reason for leaving, it did make the other offer that much sweeter..and I probably wouldn't have left had I been making adequate wages.

I much prefer the system where all employees are given their reviews at at prescheduled date, regardless of hire date. It gives management time to clear up their schedules and is usually much more prompt, especially in larger firms.

Nov 5, 07 9:02 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Are all the reviews delayed, or just yours? Are all reviews done at the same time, perhaps at the calendar year end, or at the anniversary date of hire? You need to understand that policy.

Is firm generally disorganized? Typically passive-aggressive in its administration of employee benefits, perks, salary adjustments and promotions? Large enough to have a "employee review" procedure? Perhaps firm, rather than that individual, is to blame for delay.

Is your "boss" the right person to ask? Is there a human resources person or "hiring manager" that you could ask regarding status of your review? If your "boss" is supposed to do review, perhaps he's just stalling either because that's his nature, or there some larger issue regarding your status in the firm. If he's stalling because of his own reasons, a nudge from above can help.

In a friendly nonconfrontational manner, you need to check these issues out before you get aggressive. Plenty of firms would say a 2-month delay is no big deal. However, plenty of firms also use "review delay" as a budget management tool to delay pay increases for several months, so again you need to understand the firm's dynamic.

Note that some firms may not do reviews, despite boilerplate in office manual, and don't do salary adjustments until the employee is really upset. But you would already know if you're in this kind of situation.

If it's a tiny office, and your "boss" is also the firm owner, then do as others already suggested - prepare your self-review and put it on his desk in an envelop with a note asking for a face-to-face meeting in the next week.

Nov 5, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
perturbanist

can you say...2 weeks????

Nov 5, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

"first thing tomorrow morning", sit in his office, ready for your review.

Is it just you or is he ignoring everyone?

Nov 5, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
evol

well, looks like everybody in the company is getting delayed on their review. however, your replies are very helpful, and i think that i will try to write an outstanding self-evaluation that describes my importance in the company, which will include all the projects I have worked on, and how i have learned and progressed, and how i can benefit the company in the future!

thanks again,

love all,

-evol

Nov 6, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
knock out

In my experience, this is a very bad problem...

If he liked you or valued your work, he would not hesitate to make sure to reward you and keep you working hard by showing that the firm is committed to you. Good companies in all types of industries know that its cheaper to hire and promote within than go outside and hire a new one. Design field is different of course, but its still a business, not volunteer work.

On the other hand, there is a reason that this is happening. Does he consistently miss client meetings or bi-weekly financial meetings with Admin? No, then you are his last priority and probably never going to get justly rewarded.

To those that say this is not unexpected or "normal," I disagree. This is precisely why young architects are paid very little, they don't demand fair compensation and benefits, and they get enough satisfaction from their work experience. The real truth is someone is making money, just not you. Fight for it.

You shouldn't wait around until he gives you the review, because it could be six months or more, but ask yourself do you really want to be there working for him? If your there purely for the experience, then start looking right now for new jobs. When you find something you like, start wrapping up your projects and get prepared to leave. It will become increasingly more difficult to work for him once he has disappointed you like this.

In my experience, I waited 4 months for a review and finally got one. I had been one of the best employees for a long time, and my boss waited until the day after I messed up something to give me a review; convenient of course. I presented my case and stated hard facts, but in the end I was low balled and my slight increase came with a new 2-year non-compete (with no severance pay), and it was of course retroactive to my official review day (they legally have to if it's in your employment contract). I found a new job for more than my offer afterwards and put in my two weeks. My boss acted stunned, but I simply said, "I can't wait around for you and the company to catch up to the pace I work at. It's time for me to move on."

Poczatek™ - I disagree with prepared self review sheet, this will only give him ways to exploit your deficiencies. You don't give your enemy your battle plan before you enter the war do you?

Remember, this delay is a negotiation strategy. Its similar to dog fighters who starve their dogs before fights to increase their fierceness (Michael Vick reference...). In other words, your more likely to settle for less after you've been longing for the review. Once you finally get it, you'll probably get offered like 5% or less and you'll be really disappointed. Instead of worrying, you could have moved on to someplace else for 10% or more. Don't settle for the rate of inflation, since when has that rate covered increased costs over a year?

Seriously, it doesn't hurt to start looking. Remember do not let anyone know what you are looking for or even hint at it at work. He may simply just be backed up on work and unable to make your meeting. This could be a misunderstanding, only you have worked with him.

Continue to be a very polite, non-confrontational, and diligent worker. Do your research by talking to other employees or calling up old ones you used to work with there. If you find your situation is normal, question your desire to be there. If you find it's unusual, start looking for new jobs now.

KO

P.S. - Have you suggested a meeting during lunch or after work?

Nov 7, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Better yet, print this thread and give it to him...but be careful that the date & time do not coincide with office hours.

Nov 7, 07 5:21 am  · 
 · 
evol

had review, wasn't pretty, i guess the time is right to move on...

Dec 2, 07 12:37 am  · 
 · 
binary

yup..... jsut make some print out of the dwg you worked on so you have a reference for the next job.... .. not sure if you need to ask...but just as long as the title block isnt on there i dont think there would be a problem

b

Dec 2, 07 12:42 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

explain "wasn't pretty" a bit more, please.

Dec 2, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
archie

You do need to ask about taking drawings. If the boss is a member of the AIA, there is a code of ethics that says the employer must allow the employee to have a record of their work. This does not include an electronic record. You would tupically be permitted to take copies of drawings, but you must pay for the drawings. You are typically not permitted to take electronic drawings, as they are owned by the company: you were paid to create them, and they belong to the employer, not you.

Dec 2, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

You know, for the future reference of all, I might suggest determining the boss' schedule and then asking/scheduling the review ahead of time - preferably at lunch, where you can get out of the office and write off a nice meal - it can help diffuse some of the nervousness. Putting a self-review on the bosses chair can come across as passive-aggressive or nagging. Just schedule it like any other meeting. Also, if you have a firm meeting (like monday/morning type meeting) then that is a perfect time to mention EVERYONE (not just you) who has their review due. This is also the time to ask the boss what are the best days in the next week or so to schedule a few of them. Putting it in the context of a work related function like any other and hopefully it will take a little out of the confrontational aspect these things can take on.

Dec 3, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: