Archinect
anchor

Advice please

aking

I am in the process of accepting a job and well here is the deal...

Firm A: called day after submitting resume to set up interview; first interview went so so, second went great; no indication of what they are leaning towards; smallish firm, virtually no turnover so hiring is extremely important, #1 on my list

Firm B: large firm, great interview, offered job the next day w/o references (offer was a week and half ago); they sold themselves well to me, almost too good to be true; look better on paper next to other firms; Biggest hangup is that they are not in downtown and would equate to 3000 extra miles of driving a year or 12 a day;

Firm C: gigantic internationally recognized firm, local office is small and new to area; they are in a horrible office park but see future plans of getting into downtown; biggest hangup besides office park is that the work that they are doing isn't that interesting BUT firm would look fantastic on resume
Status: said they prob wouldn't make decision until some time next week

So I am trying to decide if I hold out for Firm A which is my number one and put off firm b/tell them no or accept offer with Firm B?

Nov 2, 07 1:56 pm
NoSleep

ask firm a if they will give you a deadline for your acceptance/decline

ask if you can wait on firm b's offer because you need to consider all the options that should be available to you at (give them a time). if they really want you, then they'll wait.

Nov 2, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

got with what works for you today, cause there might be no tomorrow.

Nov 2, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
aking

No Sleep, I have already told firm b I would know something today. I wish I had handled that better. Also firm a has given no indication to their interest or a timeframe for that matter. I believe I am going to accept with firm b but I kind of feel like I am settling (despite the fact they are a great firm) and I haven't given the other 2 opportunities to make an offer.

I never imagined this would be so difficult.

Nov 2, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
ether

You should call firm A and ask for an appropriate time frame for their decision. If you want to wait until then, you should tell firm B (though it may be awkward). You probably owe it to yourself to consider all of the options at hand.

Nov 2, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
jorge_c

call firm "a" and tell them you have an offer from firm "b" for x amount, but that "a" is your favorite and that you would like to know their decision and their offer quick because you don't want to leave "b" hanging.

the fact that you have an offer from "b" will make you more desirable to "a". you also come across as a straight forward person that's not playing games. even though "b" is large, you shouldn't make them wait too long.

Nov 2, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

I agree with the first part of jorge's comments.

I don't agree that the second part is true. most firms hire depending on your work. firm b may need to fill a position with certain experience and firm a may want something else.

if firm a cannot give you an answer today, ask again for a suspected decision date.

go back to firm b and tell them you are still waiting on more offers and ask if they can wait until (firm a's deadline). if they say no, then, shit, go with firm b. a job is a job...there's always more later, but you have to pay bills today

Nov 2, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
ether

if you have a job currently, rushing is moot. if not and finances play a part.. well that, to me, is another set of circumstances.

Nov 2, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

to me, this is all about the distinction between a "job" and a "career opportunity" -- and I address that comment to both employees and employers.

if a firm is hiring people they hope will remain with the firm for a long period of time and develop careers in that place, a few weeks here or there won't matter a bit. if the firm is simply trying to put a warm butt in a vacant seat, then they tend not to be very flexible on timing, especially if they have a few more warm butts out there that they're stringing along.

similarly, if an individual is looking for the good place to build a career, that person should not allow himself to be pressured into taking a job for any reason other than the job is a perfect fit.

Nov 2, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I have been in your exact situation.

I took the job that was "pretty good," (B) but not exactly what I was looking for (A). I regretted it. And later figured out a way to work for (A) and was happy.

This process is about you, and your career. Do not accept a job you're not 100% excited about—you'll regret it. Don't settle. You have to make no one happy but yourself. Don't accept a job that isn't quite right just because they're putting pressure on you.

Call B back, be very polite, explain the situation. Say "I want to be able to make an informed decision here. I'm sorry to take so long, but can you give me a few more days?"

Nov 2, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
aking

Thanks guys for the advice. After posting this I called firm a and left a message. I then went to the gym to try and get clarity. When I got back Firm A called with an offer. Fabulous timing.

Nov 2, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
jorge_c

congratulations! hope everything works out.

Nov 2, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: