Archinect
anchor

Lighting in family room

krutika

I need help in lighting my new family room.

The dimension of the room is 19.5W x 17L x 10H
Furnitures in the room are leather sofa, loveseat, 2 chairs, end tables, coffee table and a big screen TV on a TV console.
Currently we only have one center ceiling light. We wish to add more lighting to create some ambiance for everyday activities and entertaining too.

We want to add some recessed lights and some eyeball trims to highlight the art works. But we are not sure how to place those. Please help us light up our family room.

Thank you.

Nov 2, 07 8:55 am
liberty bell

Free design work? Not in the mood I'm in today. There are a bazillion DIY web sites out there, go find one.

Nov 2, 07 9:00 am  · 
 · 
manamana

archinect's collective design services branch requires pre-payment before work can begin. email me (click username) for rates and paypal info.

Nov 2, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
4arch

The non big box higher end lighting-only stores will usually offer design consultation on these smaller scale projects for "free" provided you purchase the fixtures from them. You'll pay more than you would at the big boxes or an electrical supplier, but you'll get the advice you need.

Nov 2, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
voltagedrop

wiring wiring wiring... if you have a dropped ceiling, then i would go with recessed wall washers for art and maybe maybe recessed downlights for general lighting. CFL works well. but again wiring, you need to make sure you have enough capacity in terms of connected load to the nearest circuit. otherwise, you'll have to run new wiring from the panel to a new circuit breaker. you'll probably be adding 30 to 60 watt bulbs. you might be able to tie into the existing light circuit but again, you have to check.

Nov 4, 07 2:21 am  · 
 · 

WTF? If you're posting on archinect at this hour, you shoud totally be in the hammmmerrrrrrrred thread.

Nov 4, 07 2:22 am  · 
 · 
voltagedrop

what are you talking about? it's only 12:30 am, that's early for architects/engineers

Nov 4, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

do you have any photos you can post? maybe that could give us a better "feel"

Nov 4, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

jeez...I'd be lucky to get my family into a well-lit room.

Nov 4, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

sunset,

why do you want to give this person free advice? I already offered what I think is a good way for the person to get inexpensive advice without getting an architect or lighting designer involved. If we go any farther than the vague tips and referrals given above, we're just handing him/her a few hundred dollars worth of design services with nothing to show for it, once again selling our profession short.

Nov 5, 07 7:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Exactly, 4arch.

Also, here's a free comment: eyeball trims are hideously ugly.

Nov 5, 07 8:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: