Archinect
anchor

Why is this facinating to me?

evilplatypus
Don Gardner Dream Homes

Is it that this is how people shop for architecture in America?
Is it that its their right to?
Secretly do I wish I was Don Gardner?
Is residential architecture really that easy to catagorize?

Please discuss, and pick your favorite Dream House

Oct 31, 07 2:07 pm
PsyArch

Or how about choosing between The Shah, The Tsar, The Senator, The King or The Duke, at Trasacco Valley.

Click the button to ruin your lunch.

I know I've posted this before, but now they have "other projects". I can't wait to see the renderings of the Villaggio appartments.

Oct 31, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

that dude is laughing his ass all the way to the bank

Oct 31, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
jorge_c

we have had clients that bought this kind of crap and want us to get it permitted. it's not fun.

Oct 31, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

With a name like Don Gardner, it's bound to be good.

Oct 31, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I posted my favorite "dream home" on the Sarcastic Wednesday thread, where it belongs.

I think this is just another good indication that architects need to change the profession if we are going to survive. I'm not implying that we should offer this shite, by any means, but we do need to find a better way of communicating with the public.

Oct 31, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

Why communicate with the public when we can just post inane drivel on pretentious professional websites.

Oct 31, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

The 'Wedgewood' is my favourite! mmmm! the 'photos' section is great! (note: barf bag NOT included!)

but i agree with mdler! this dude is totally raking it in! mother f'er!

Oct 31, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

this disgusts me

Oct 31, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

damn it. i can't wait to sell out. i want to buy sexy cars and sexy girls to lean on them and scratch the paint. kinda like this:

Oct 31, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Thats an Alfa Romeo - so no wonder she is sitting like that.

From the website:

Since 1978, Donald A. Gardner Architects, Inc. has been revolutionizing the residential pre-designed house plan industry.

Here's a sample of what skills you need to work there:

Perform miscellaneous CADD work such as producing mirror reverses, replotting construction drawings, producing basement option plans, and updating, correcting or clarifying existing house plan construction drawings...

and Hilarious testimonials

I just want you to know that I think [Donald A. Gardner is] the most talented architect....the plans are so well arranged it is difficult to decide! Each time I see one of your plans, it helps me keep focused on the future. "
- Cindy H.

Just had to tell you how beautiful our new home, Plan 1009 - The Edgewater, is. It's a showplace and is literally stopping traffic. People pull over and get out to take pictures and even come to our door wanting to know what plan this is. Everyone loves it. We are so proud. Everything turned our perfect as planned. Keep up the great work. "
- Dianne W.

My husband and I "downsized" to one of your wonderfully thought-out plans. We are extremely happy with the size of our Great Room and Master Suite as well as our Sunroom and Breakfast Area. Our community is comprised of various Donald Gardner house plans, and it has a terrific look. "

I love your home designs, especially the Hollingbourne (W-990), Yesterview (W-1002), and Fitzgerald (W-1018). You create more lovable designs than any architect I could find on the Internet. "
- Christopher C.

This site is gold.

Nov 1, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Oh dear God.

No matter what category I select, they all look the same.

The music industry has Britney Spears; we have Don Gardner.

Nov 1, 07 12:45 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Whats funny is parents are always telling me to sell house plans. Theyre contractors and truely find 9/10 architects to be incompatent, bad designers anyways and unprofesional. In my parents' defense, they do better residential home additions than any architect Ive come accross yet - 2x Profesional Remodler magazine best of catagory. However - theres something very tempting about the cash flow of selling design ideas in plan form, versus waiting 6 months for a check. The cash flow could be tremendously helpful in stablizing a firm. The firm might have to have the plan development unit under seperate name and entity. Seriously if Graves or Gehry are putting their names on picture frames and Jock straps at Target, why not sell a well thought out house plan. Some of those are actualy not too bad of plans especially for where theyre going to built.

Ironicly half the people buying from that site would bitch and moan and withold payment if they delt with the architect one on one - yet if they just see the finished plan they drool. Might say something about the process and preception of traditional client / architect relationship. This guy has shattered that and made the client come to him for HIS design.

Nov 1, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 

i honestly see nothing wrong with that site, nor the buildings he is selling.

architects take themselves too seriously. must be why so many of us wear black (that has GOT to be a security-issue thing; there can be no other explanation)

Nov 1, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

after seeing this, I am changing my name to "dirk diggler"

Nov 1, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
dia

This is odd - from the Famous Architects Plans Section. Not what I thought it would be - FLW knock-offs, just DAG Originals...

Famous Architects - Donald A. Gardner Architects

While most lists of famous architects would include names like Frank Lloyd Wright and IM Pei, any comprehensive architect list should include famous residential architects as well. And the list of famous architects in the home floor plan niche begins with Donald A. Gardner. Gardner's history of achievement in the design of home plans is second to none...

Nov 1, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
jorge_c

jump, the problem (as per my previous post) is that people go out and buy these things expecting to be able to build them wherever they want. then they call us to get them permitted which we may or we may not be able to do without modifications.

i have never dealt with mr. gardner's products but i know his ilk. i'm sure somewhere in the fine print it denies all responsibility for planning, building, public works, code issues. that it claims that any small change in the design voids his liability, that any architect who uses his drawings as basis for modifications is infringing on his copyright, etc.

i don't mind working with someone who bought this and wants to get it built, but it always feels as if the client was deceived and they are not happy during the rest of the process. i think he should give the client their money back if they're not able to build the house exactly as he designed it.

Nov 1, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

yeah the problem is that these houses will only work if you have like half an acre of land with not much zoning regulations...I would like to know how much Don is charging..I think I would have no problem whatsoever if Don provides permitting services.

Nov 20, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

does anybody know if don gardner is on facebook? i'd like to post this thread to facebook...and i'd like to think that don gardner will see it.

Nov 20, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

puddles you are so diabolical! I love that about you!

Nov 20, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

liberty bell you are so flattering! i love that about love!

Nov 21, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: