Archinect
anchor

Deep Thoughts....

WtfWtfWtf™

It's Halloween, and coincidentally through my office window a cool October Breeze brings a thick smell of Melted chocolate from the Blommer's Chocolate Factory. Amazing. What a day..

Oct 31, 07 11:08 am
evilplatypus

Wheres u guys new office at? Hows it compared to the old slaughter house?

Oct 31, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

oh - and yes it is a beatiful day out there

Oct 31, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I need to get me some of this:

Oct 31, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

It's the same old Slaughterhouse.....

Oct 31, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Which today, is thankfully down-wind of a chocolate factory...

Oct 31, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
manamana

isn't that the mulch that's deadly if dogs eat it?

Oct 31, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

You guys are still on Franklin?

Oct 31, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
4arch

This thread brings back memories of watching this on SNL growing up.

Oct 31, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Chocolate brings back memories of this SNL Skit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqaOKmJoFNo

Oct 31, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
4arch

"If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them."

-Jack Handey

Oct 31, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i loved walking home with the smell of chocolate in the air.

Oct 31, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Androohy

I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas.

by Jack Handey

Oct 31, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

I should clarify that it is not exactly my "office" but the firm's office, and it's not exactly a "window" through which the chocolate odor spills, but a rusted Hollow-Metal roof access door without weatherstripping.

Oct 31, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Oh so you are in the old building still.

Im looking at your elevator shaft on the backside of the beehive out my window. WTF? I know I havent seen the plans and maybe thats the best location - or maybe you guys have a screwball developer - was that the only solution? At least its on the backside of the building.

You working on any cool new projects over there where you could channel this great feeling today into an equally beatiful design?

Oct 31, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

It Couldn't go anywhere else due to a 13ft High concrete-encased steel transfer assembly which carried the courtyard walls at the 5th floor - thats what pushed it outside of the building envelope...the fire department demanded an elevator that went thru ALL levels of the building, replacing the original dual configuration, and as far as the finishes go, Landmarks was against the gleaming glass box we had proposed. "Something with punched windows more consistent with the established language of the building.." is what they asked for and that's what they got. Thank GOD it is on the back.

Oct 31, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

And yes, you comment qualifies for your "Sarcastic Wednesday" post.

Oct 31, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

so landmarks oks the Spertus all glass and steel, but not that building? A minimalist glass shaft would compliment the heavy stone mass of the existing structure. Fake punched openings and stone veneer is MORE an insult to the historic facade. Who are these morons on these comittees. Was this the Mich ave. landmark district committee or the building landmark comitee?

Anyways - a glass box would be less intrusive, more interesting and make a great juxtoposition of materials. This is why Chicago is slipping as a design center - too many "keepers of architectural heritage" and local gurus here to progress.

Oct 31, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

it's not stone veneer Evil...it' fucking DEFS.....
I agree, it's one contradiction after the next with Landmarks.
And I also agree with you on the lost opportunity. I am not the author...I tried to be, but was dismissed for pushing the Glass Shaft.
Wait, that didn't come out right, wait, neither did that...

Oct 31, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

o thats pathetic - Im about 4 blocks away but I could see it turning color. I thought the insulation was the sheating and was being slowly clad - your saying thats exterior finishing system? Thats more than pathetic.

Oct 31, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
link
Oct 31, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

"I think a good gift for a president would be a chocolate revolver. And since he's so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real fast to give it to him."

--Jack Handey

Oct 31, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Guardian
Oct 31, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
grip mind...resist, reflect incriminate, guess...break detach they're talking about you. i'll show you.
Oct 31, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Actually, "chocolate" and "SNL" makes me think of this sketch:

I love you, you know.

Oct 31, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: