Archinect
anchor

Architecture as Collectible Art

smallpotatoes
smallpotatoes

If I only had 20 mil...

Oct 31, 07 10:13 am  · 
 · 

don't worry smalls...its likely to sell for alot more.

Oct 31, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

houses already sell at auction...sothebeys has a huge real estste department. One of the Koenig case studies sold at auction about a year ago; I belive that Wright Auction House out of Chicago sold it

Oct 31, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

It was probably a news item on here that told of LACMA buying houses as part of its collection of Art

Oct 31, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Lord Palumbo has a small collection. Perhaps he sold the Farnsworth house, which flooded while he owned it and has flooded again since ? Do i have that right ?

Oct 31, 07 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the thing that gets me is that people will buy Neutra houses and tear them down...like buying a picasso and painting the canvas white

Oct 31, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

I was not struck by the house being auctioned so much as by the fact that it had been extensively "restored" and then put up for auction as a piece of architectural history. It does seem to reach into the priceless category...should it become a private gem or opened to the public for study and appreciation?

Oct 31, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

There's "restored" and then there's restored. This house was restored. A seventy-year-old building will not stay in shape indefinitely, especially after multiple owners and their whims.

It would be nice if someone would pay what the market will bear for this unique object and the turn around and open it to the public. The owners of Frank Lloyd Wright houses fall into three categories: private owners who may or may not allow visitors; private owners who open their properties as overnight or weekly rentals (as small but growing number) as a way of funding the care of the property; and private or public entities who care for the properties and accept paying visitors and give tours or the houses. Houses that require million-dollar restoratons (Fallingwater needed major surgery a couple of years ago) generally fall into the third group.

Oct 31, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

palumbo at one point owned corb's maisons jaoul, wright's kentuck knob & mies' farnsworth.

and of course ms. harris would say that "It’s an odd thing, but the more money this house goes for, the better it is for preservation" being that she'll probably bring home half of that slice o' bacon.

turns out she doesn't care about architecture as much as she does money, otherwise she'd donate it.

Oct 31, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

holz....sometimes buildings are best kept away from the PUBLIC!

Cause then you have a team of various ideas which I find for the most part are great at destroying things..

Oct 31, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i find it hard to believe someone who is an arch. historian would develop a program to destroy the kaufmann haus.

and i realize that visitors can damage a building, there are ways to mitigate this.

all i'm saying is she's a hypocrite and i hope her next house burns to the ground (as long as it's not a landmark project)

Oct 31, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Lynda Waggoner / Fallingwater:
"We have a high of 144,000 annual visitors, which is almost too many.
If 900 people tour Fallingwater, that is 14 every six minutes. Surveys
are important marketing tours at Fallingwater. Twenty-seven percent of
our visitors come because of Frank Lloyd Wright."

So, most people visit Fallingwater even though they know nothing about Wright. But somehow the house can absorb all those people without harm. I guess slate floors are a good investment !

Oct 31, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: