Archinect
anchor

Breaking into furniture design

How do you get into this profession? Please no useless/ I think Im funny, but Im really not posts...thx.

Oct 29, 07 11:07 am

from all i've ever been able to tell, you gotta build some things on your own $$$ first and get them shown or prove that you can sell them on your own.

no one is likely to say 'oh you're an architect; you want to design this line for me?' unless you're a starchitect.

now if you've got some background in industrial or product design, you may be in a different place altogether.

Oct 29, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

steven, you think you're funny don't you.

Oct 29, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Can you afford school?
Have you got talent and dedication and drive?
If not,
will you make the right contacts when you are there?
or can you meet them at your local bar?

How do you envisage getting into any industry?

Oct 29, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
aking

When I took a furniture design class, one of my classmates projects was selected by a local dealer to sell. So I would second what Stephen said, finance your own stuff and shop it around to local dealers. If you could get your stuff displayed in a local show that would be another route.

You could also find local furniture makers (?) and see if you could work out some pt/ft work arrangement with them (free/cheap labor in exchange for you using their equipment). If you are in school and have a furniture class, talk to your instructor as to how to make contacts.

Oct 29, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

you arent funny calling steven funny

Oct 29, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

^ pretty funny post, if you ask me

Oct 29, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

mdler was that a "you think you're funny but really your not" post.

Oct 29, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

i designed a piece of furniture, went online, found a unique website that promotes and helps designers market their designs, now I am on my way deep in talks about pricing, manufacturing and selling...if it's that easy for me, then it should be for you!

Oct 29, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I think Arzo was being funny. . .

Oct 29, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

manufacture in china..........

Oct 30, 07 3:31 am  · 
 · 
MJDMS

I have an architecture background by the way.....this thread has gotten pretty funny, as all threads on this site, except for the ones about 3dh, which are just sad.....whats the website Arzo. If you werent going to give it to us, y even reply.

Oct 31, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
this lady

is good friend of my partner and is talented achitect who is moving into product design and furniture. she has been doing it for a few years now and things look to be picking up. i don't know how she made this work except that she started small, made things on her own and shopped it around, met people who helped to do larger works and sort of continued in that mode until now she is hopefully going to take off...

i beleive if you want to do it seriously you have to build it and start showing it to places where you might be able to sell it. virtual work is i suspect not much use.

good luck.

Oct 31, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: