Archinect
anchor

Architect for Halloween?

AOH_peetra

Upon seeing the rash of Halloween costumes unleashed on the city this weekend, I was wondering--has anyone / or is anyone planning to dress up like an architect for Halloween?

I went the zombie route this year but with some better glasses and a t-square I could have just as easily made it into a zombie architect costume!

Think about it:

*Philip Johnson -- all about the glasses, my friend got one pair as a "prize" from a rep that came into his office for one of those lunch meetings

*Frank Lloyd Wright -- for the 1920s look , and carry around old architecture instruments

*Zaha -- easy, accurate representation would make a scary costume

Just a few examples that popped in my head--so many more im sure !

So anybody ? (please include photo-documentation if applicable)

Oct 29, 07 9:47 am
WonderK

I think that a Zombie Philip Johnson or Zaha would be a stroke of genius. Especially considering PJ is dead now. It would be even better if you had a tiny glass house that you carried around with you.

Oct 29, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

has anybody else heard that the glass house has been exhibiting the strange behavior of a haunted house?...or is that just a rumour?

Oct 29, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Scary old man ? What's with the broken glass ?

Oct 29, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

1920s ?

1930s

Oct 29, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

was a matter of time b/4 someone posted that...

Oct 29, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah ! When and where was that ?

Oct 29, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

the 1931 beaux arts ball in ny. or didn't you read delirious new york.

Oct 29, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

our architecture department (psu) makes the freshman make costume's everyyear and parade aroudn the arch building. It's demoralizing, walking across campus with your huge cardboard and construction paper costume, while every other person is drunk, but we've all done it, and there are some good laughs.

i remember when i did it, i made a huge paper mache mask and i messed up the placement of the eyes, so one was looking up, and the other was looking down. They tell us to stand on an X so they can take our picture, and i missed it by like 5 feet, so my picture only has half of me in it.

anyway, this year all of the freshman have to have architecture related costumes, so i'll be sure to post some of those images when i get them

Oct 29, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

GQ did there own version of the Beaux Artes Ball back in 1994 I think with PJ (I love that name) Philip Johnson recovering a role he had 1/2 a century before, as well as Meier, and a couple others I can't remember. But somethings can't compare to the original

Oct 29, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

FLW - straight pimpin'!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 29, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

this is a bit off topic but since we are talking about halloween, my boss found live black widow spider on his lawn mower, put her in a jar, and brought it into work on friday. we just caught a bug for her and put it in the jar.

Oct 29, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
AOH_peetra

1930s FLW = BOSS

I would switch out the trench for an actual cape though maybe...

Oct 29, 07 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i was thinking about going as an arch. ninja one year. Think about it, T-Square across the back, belt full of xacto blades and pens/lead holders, plus triangles.

Oct 29, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Maybe oversize everything ? X-acto knife as sword. . .?

Here's more of the Old Man -- because I have them at hand:

He had some nice threads. Chamois underwear, too. . .

Oct 29, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

what a dude. i'm about ready to leave for work, but now i feel like i should go change clothes. boy, have we gotten lax in our dress.

Oct 30, 07 7:08 am  · 
 · 
SDR

I assumed, and thought I had heard, that Wright had capes, but I haven't found a picture of one yet. Fangs, no; capes, maybe. Cane, yes !

Architect Mario Ciampi told me, before he died, that he once made the trip into the city (SF) to find and meet the Old Man. Arriving at (Maiden Lane, or Aaron Green's address, I forget which) Ciampi found Wright exiting onto the sidewalk. Without looking at him Wright swept Ciampi aside with his cane and strode away. So much for "the Great Man," said Ciampi !

Oct 30, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

hey what do you guys think of my spider story?

Oct 30, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Creepy -- in a GOOD way. How is the spider doing ? Do we know for sure it's a female ? What does it need to remain in captivity indefinitely ?

Oct 30, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I always let spiders go. bossman, you should tell your underling to let this one go too - out in the desert, of course, not too close to the office.

But in the meantime, did it eat the bug?

Oct 30, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

. . .Bu twhat if the underling is your boss ?

Oct 30, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

the "underling" was my boss. we set it free in the parking lot last night, and i believe he squished it later. watching it walk around was creepy, but very beautiful. probably the most respectable arachnid i've ever seen. i also realized watching it walk around that i've seen them before.

Oct 30, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

How big was it, overall ? Like a quarter ?

Oct 30, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

not big; like a house spider. a quarter if you include the legs.

Oct 30, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

it was definitely frightened of us; they aren't vicious. i lobbied for its re-release into the wild.

Oct 30, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

bossman, I assume everyone with whom you work is an underling, as you are the bossman. Now fire that guy who squished the spider!

Oct 30, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: