Archinect
anchor

How do you define this special mosque?

7lxx

The Assyafaah Mosque
This mosque is so different from the ones we normally see.How do you feel about this interpretation of an age old tradition?

How do you feel about it's minaret?

take a look here:
http://www.architectureweek.com/2005/0803/design_1-1.html

http://www.architecture-page.com/go/projects/assyafaah-mosque-singapore

Oct 28, 07 6:00 am

just looking at the pix doesn't help you understand what's going on, but a quick read of the article shows that the project was developed very thoughtfully and intentionally. definitely an attempt to bridge cultures while still giving the traditional congregants what they need to feel the 'mosque-ness' of the place. i'm for it and hope it's successful.

Oct 28, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

No Im never gonna do it without the fez on
Oh no
Thats what I am
Please understand
I wanna be your holy man
No Im never gonna do it without the fez on---

a trend exists for religious structures at least christian churches to move away from lookin like churches. here's why--- the churches sell things like books and inspirational messages in their giftshops, they have coffeeshops that create revenue etc, the idea of a traditional church layout don't work for em. also, people want to go to church in a way that is different they want to wear their jeans and tshirts to church its casual worshipping that is less out of place if the church looks like an sports arena. the message is that god loves you and wants you to be rich and happy and well adjusted. its like "doctor phil"olosphy of religion as opposed to you are a sinner and better shape up.

Oct 28, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

The interior spaces are quite beautiful. The exterior...not so much. At least it seems to fit well into its context.

Oct 28, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

I personally believe religious structures should never move away from the prime designs (exterior and interior) implemented in earlier times. The main reason I say this is because many religious buildings always gave a clear message from the "outside" before entering the religious space, it made you change your mood and mentality. But when you enter a contemporary religious building, it kind of sends mixed emotions, compared to the straight and direct feeling upon entering a "regular" religious space. I am a Muslim, and If i was ever going to design a mosque, I would strictly keep the original architecture (Square/Circle forms and proportions)

Oct 28, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
hallojii

I would have to disagree with the above (sunsetsam's comment)... the prime designs that were implemented in earlier times seemed to seek a more grandiose, overwhelming feeling of ownership over the visitor, something that had less to do with religious practice and more to do with issues of conquering and nationalism... if you read up on the origins of traditional mosques in the middle east and even india, you will find this. understanding the context of the present in any building design, including mosques, becomes essential, and also understanding that the first mosques ever built were believed to be the most simplistic of spaces in order for the visitor to focus on their faith, until the building of mosques over time almost became a competition for who could make the bigger, more intricately detailed one with domes and shiny embellishments... heck i'm Muslim too, and if I were to design it I would go in any direction away from the traditional. not to say traditional mosques arent beautiful or anything, but i think the simplicity of Islam was forgotten in their design.

Oct 28, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

I agree with where hallo is going on this, religion has changed immensely even over the past 100 years, not to mention the last 500 or 1500. Why should the architecture of these spaces and imagery remain the same?

When a man entered this temple, he would feel space molded around him, for him, as if it had waited for his entrance, to be completed. It was a joyous place, with the joy of exaltation that must be quiet. It was a place where one would come to feel sinless and strong, to find the peace of spirit never granted save by one's own glory (F, p. 343).

a quote from the Fountainhead, I'll probably get bashed for quoting it, but i enjoy it and i think that it speaks for our times. Today, organized religion has taken a turn for the worse, and i think that it is now basically a political system. But that's a different discussion.

and hallo is correct "until the building of mosques over time almost became a competition for who could make the bigger, more intricately detailed one with domes and shiny embellishments... " this competition is also evident when looking at cathedrals. I think its comparable to any race, the race to the moon. it was used as a way of showing and exerting power. Why should we rever that?

Oct 28, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

moneo's cathedral in LA...

the church is making a statement that they are ready for the 21st century...but they still hold onto their really outdated values

Oct 28, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

exactly, you just condensed all of my thoughts mdler

Oct 28, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

I like this open air mosque in Mauritania. great example of islamic minimalism, practicality and adoptability.

Three small mosques in Turkey

Mosque in Bosnia

I am all for contemporary interpretations of mosques.

The Assyafaah Mosque is beautiful interpretation of Islamic simplicity and appreciation of light.

Oct 28, 07 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Im working on a Wudu room right now, and Im impressed with willingness of these Paki clients to spend some money on this room. Its a prayer room for 20 people- quite spectacular - will post images in future, just getting started for framing now and installing under floor plumbing

Oct 29, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
hallojii

evilplatypus- where's the mosque of the wudu room youre desiging?

Oct 29, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Its not a mosque, its a prayer room for an Islamic banking group, inside their corporate HQ. The prayer room faces mecca, n.e. from Chicago,IL, with a cool sloping clg up to the Kiva (Sp?) which will be slashed open by a skylight. The actual wudu room is a minimal stone room with a 3 fixture sink directly under another sliver of a skylight directly above it. It should be done around March. We joke that only in Chicago can a Catholic be working for a Jew on an Islamic Banking Office with a Hindu construction manager.

Oct 29, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: