Archinect
anchor

Working in India (or abroad in general) - any advice?

cwc1177

I am considering a possible position in India and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, advice, useful tax info, etc.

I would be moving from the States (NYC) and would be gone for about a year. It's a great opportunity and would be a wonderful experience. Just curious to see if anyone out there has gone through a similar experience and had any words of wisdom (or discouragement).

I would especially be interested to see what some of the "higher-ups" might think of hiring someone that has spent 1+ years abroad.

Thanks.

Oct 26, 07 9:21 am
miss chief

Will they providing housing for you? I assume you'd be in a big city, right? Is the firm big? Small? Are they flying you over or are you paying for your own transportation?

I spent a summer working for Microsoft Research India in Bangalore. Part of the agreement was housing, which was necessary for the shorter length of time I spent there. Granted, this was not architecture and rather technology, but it might be useful.

I *loved* my experience there. I thought it was amazing. Having time to sink in and get used to things really made a difference. I lived in a residential neighborhood, walked to work, made friends in the city. I'd go back in an instant if I could but things haven't aligned for that to happen.

Oct 28, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

make a travel blog

Oct 28, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

a year is nothing in terms of commitment. the so-called "higher ups" aren't probably going to care either way, unless you work for a firm with an office in asia. go.

Oct 29, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
miss chief

If anything, I'd expect it would be viewed positively. But more importantly, it's certain to have a profound impact on you -- that's the key thing.

Oct 29, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

the cost of living is much cheaper than in NYC, but I hope you are getting paid by US standards.
I know of people in India who get paid the same as in the US, but have not see that happen for architects. So, I'd just make sure.

anyways sounds like a great experience. go!

Oct 29, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
brookmeier

I too am on my way to India to start a design office of my own. I obviously think it's a good idea. There's so much opportunity there right now.

Check Publication 54 on the IRS website for important Tax Info.

What City will you be in?

Oct 29, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
cwc1177

Thanks for the info. Discussions are still ongoing, but it is definitely an exciting opportunity. The position would be located about 90 miles outside of Mumbai.

The tax info is sort of confusing - any recommendations for accountants in New York City that might be helpful? The tricky part is that the position in India wouldn't start until February, so it would meet any of the requirements of having a tax home in a foreign country for a full tax year or the physical presence test.

Thanks again for the info.

Oct 30, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

90 miles outside of mumbai? wow - is this in pune, or somewhere to the north of mumbai. I ask because, if its not pune, there is not much to do 90 miles outside of mumbai....

Oct 30, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

sod is right, if you have student loans and are being paid by indian standards, you can't afford to live. but i have a friend in ahmedabad who is getting paid to a US standard, as he works for a US-based firm.

Oct 30, 07 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

If you are considering moving to the bigger cities, make sure you take rent into consideration. rent in decent apartment downtown can run more than $800/mth in cities like Mumbai....this is a lot if you are only going to be earning even half of your US salary...

Oct 31, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: