Archinect
anchor

Arch to Engineering?

mespellrong

I'm wondering if anyone knows someone who did a PhD in Engineering after architecture school, but continued to practice architecture? I find myself interested in really knowing materials science and wondering if the two forms of training can really compliment in the same person. any ideas?

Oct 26, 07 8:40 am
chicago, ill

I know several architect-structural engineers here who double-majored and are licensed architects and PEs. Interestingly, they all are more "engineer" than architect, and their titles and job histories reflect that PE bias. One does major high-rise buildings for a mega-firm, the other does bridges for a large EA firm. The degree combination seems to guarantee employment demand, but seems to limit you to a large firm that does these kind a large projects that demand a high degree of structural engineering innovation and expertise.

Note that Frank Gehry relied on SOM's structural engineering dept to design and detail his "fish" structures. Some of those engineers I think even moved to Gehry's office.

Oct 26, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

I got a B.S. in engineering before my M. Arch. I'm glad I did it that way, and I continue to find my engineering background invaluable as an architect. The distinction between the fields of architecture and engineering is actually pretty recent historically, and I think it's kind of artificial and has done a lot of damage to the quality of the built environment.

However, I don't know that there's any point in getting a PhD in engineering if you're going to practice architecture (most practicing engineers don't even have PhDs), and an M. Arch. certainly won't qualify you for a PhD program in Engineering. You would need a B.S. and Masters degree in engineering first.

Oct 26, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

PVB, what kind of engineering? Civil? I planing on minoring in Structural Engineering. I may want to get a masters in engineering but I am worried that I will be treated more like an engineer than an architect?

Oct 26, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

yeah.. I know of several people who went from Arch, with a BT emphasis, to engineering schools for subsequent PhDs. It seems to be a pretty common route for BT people, since PhD programs in Building Tech aren't that common within arch departments. It may make more sense for them to become engineers instead.

Oct 26, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: