Archinect
anchor

Office layout advide

cypress

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice for workstation desks in terms of layout. What is the minimum dimension between two desks if two workers sit back-to-back.

Thanks,

Cypress

Oct 25, 07 10:29 pm
brut

48"

Oct 26, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
brut

actually, make that 60"... sorry

Oct 26, 07 8:33 am  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

Another suggestion depending on available space would be to stagger the locations that each desk mate will most commonly occupy. this way if they both push themselves away from their repsective spaces for donuts in the conference room, they don't collide.

Not sure if you are also designing the workstations, but I know many ready-to assemble units have desk surface depths of 24-30". This can make it impossible to roll out a set of drawings without creasing them along the bottom edge. Provide a larger surface (arms reach from the computer) for drawing sets if possible.

Oct 26, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Can you give each architect a cubicle? If not, give them 72" back-to-back, and a 48" deep x 72" wide workspace with plenty of drawers and hopefully a tack surface as privacy shield.

Really, it's so demoralizing to be 5, 10, or even 20 years out of school, and still be lined up at stools in a vast room of table surface, with no privacy whatsover. Poor lighting, bad chairs, shared phones, theft from drawers that don't lock, chatty deskmates, air-conditioning systems shut down at 6:00 pm even though many people are working late. Why do architects accept such poor working conditions? Telemarketing staff often have nicer workspaces than architects.

I once worked as an intern in a large ballroom-sized studio w/18' ceilings, black floors, white walls and ceilings, and the only light sources ceiling-mounted. By 5:30 pm, I'd be "snow-blind" when walking in the darkness outside. Oh, and each architect had a 36" x 60" table, no drawers, and a hard art-studio backless stool. Cruel and unusual punishment, and all for minimum wage.

Oct 26, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: