Archinect
anchor

FLW Water Dome at Florida Southern

arclem

Pretty Cool. Giant fountain just now getting built at Florida Southern. Apparently the technology did not exist at the time to build a 45' high water dome to FLW's liking.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-waterdome2507oct25,0,3910582.story?coll=orl_mezz

Oct 25, 07 2:28 pm
SDR

LAKELAND, Fla. (Oct. 9, 2007) — Florida Southern College is pleased to announce the Frank Lloyd Wright Water Dome World Premiere, beginning at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 25 in front of the Roux Library on the FSC campus. The Discovery Channel will be on campus to film the event.

The Water Dome has been under construction to restore it to the original Wright design, completed in 1948. In its original form, the Water Dome was a large circular pool ringed with jets to create a dome of water encasing the pool, but it never functioned as Wright envisioned. With the construction of the new E. T. Roux Library in 1968, the single pool was divided into three smaller ponds with central fountain heads surrounded by a large concrete plaza.

The restoration incorporates new fountain technology that will enable Wright’s vision of a 45-foot-tall dome of water to be realized. The Water Dome will dominate the core of the Florida Southern College west campus as Wright planned. The project has been overseen by preservation architect Jeff Baker of Mesick-Cohen-Wilson-Baker Architects, LLP, of Albany, N.Y., a firm that specializes in historic restoration.

Oct 25, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
AP
previously in the news

Oct 25, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR
Oct 26, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
SDR
Oct 26, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

thanks, sdr. glad to keep track of this story after the coverage it got last month.

and another thing: somehow that wright-ian (even though not always his) drawing style can create desire for me like very few other rendering techniques.

Oct 26, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i think it is a photoshop filter

Oct 26, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Like the way you can filter a CAD sketch so it looks wiggly and irregular ?

Yes, Steven, the drawings are sometimes so seductive it makes judging the work more difficult. At their best (perhaps drawn by John Howe ?) they exude the earthy, warm, juicy material feeling that I assume was Wright's intent.

Whether early

or later

and I'm guilty of being influenced myself !

Oct 26, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

These happen to be unbuilt projects, spanning 1940-1955.
I believe all of these but the first project were drawn by Jack Howe. . .

Oct 26, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Wow. I just melted.

Oct 26, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Romantic stuff -- sometimes suggesting the kinds of storybook illustrations that owe their look (ultimately) to Japanese prints: the hard outlining of forms, useful to the makers of elaborate representative woodcuts, helps the buildings to "read" in a way that is superior to photography.

Wright almost never shows shadows in elevations, but the rendered views always include shadowing -- sometimes just outlined with a dotted line.

Oct 26, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: