Archinect
anchor

most lucrative way to use an M.Arch degree

obelix

Assuming you are willing to compromise job satisfaction a bit to make more money, what is the most lucrative way to use an M.Arch degree?

Oct 23, 07 5:27 pm

if i were to believe the headhunter that called me this week, working for a big corporate aec firm managing healthcare construction projects. holy moly!

Oct 23, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Get a job that pays hourly.

Oct 23, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

sell it back with interest

Oct 23, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
jorge_c

work for accenture or deloitte

Oct 23, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
postal

design your own brothel

Oct 23, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Work in your own brothel.....

Oct 23, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

do what he does:

Oct 23, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

more seriously, if you want 'lucrative'.. it's development or construction PMing in the Mid-east (Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc), working on a contract/mercenary basis, after you've had a few big AEC projects under your wing. But it does involve selling your soul, and those of your children and loved ones...

Oct 23, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

1 soul for sale

Cost: Management gig at major global architecture or construction management firm.

Please contact Apurimac if interested.

Oct 23, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I am dismayed that everyone seems to think taking a high paying job necessarily equate "selling out". In fact, project management, if you work in the right firm gives more room for creativity---and one beyond the choice of tile or paint colour...

Oct 23, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

nonarchitect,

Actually, I think PMing is perfectly respectable. By selling out, I meant specifically somebody who takes on freelance construction PM roles in the mid-east particularly, dealing with virtually unpaid itinerate workers imported from Pakistan, living in steel boxes, building stuff that simply cannot be justified (socially, economically, politically, ecologically, whatever) by any other means other than the pleasure or ego of the local ruler.. some of those types of PM jobs pay really really well.. but you're contributing to a problem.

Oct 23, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

something like this looks good...

Oct 23, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ah who cares about freelance terrorism, when you've got the riches and disco balls on skyscrapers......

Oct 24, 07 11:40 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm a sell-out. it actually feels pretty good.

Oct 24, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

i second the program management, or programmer that J offered above. particularly if you develop a niche (universities, healthcare facilities, etc). i have seen a few who are good at what they do become experts in the field....and since you will be working with architects, if you have an architecture background, there is a chance they (we) will take you seriously....

Oct 25, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
chicago, ill

Check out David Hovey FAIA of Optima in Chicago. He owns a design-build company comprised of an architectural practice coupled with a residential development firm. Excellent work and phenomenal sales record. He is an excellent model for the architect-entrepreneur who can control his design product and capitalize on it as well.

Oct 25, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

crumple your degree into a ball, glue it to a piece of cardboard, and sell it as a frenk gehry sculpture.

Oct 25, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: