Archinect
anchor

SOM rank system questions

Urbanist

I'm hoping somebody at SOM may be able to shed some light on what it means to be hired as a D Designer, E Designer, etc.. how long does one spend at each level typically? Or is there a typical case? How does one go from being a designer to an associate? How many years of seniority would this take?

Oct 23, 07 1:35 am
THREADS

well kid, I worked at SOM back in the 60s and if you wanted to be an associate back then ya had to do a lot of ball suc-IN. good luck. but since then I have been sober for some time.

Oct 23, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
stevegambini

cheyene, you are an idiot. Urbanist was just asking a question.

Oct 23, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

So? I thought working at an office was mostly about sucking your boss's dick?

Oct 23, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
stevegambini

yeah, for you.

Oct 23, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
zivotinja

well steve is used to 'yous guys' work ethics. it's a grease-ball sh.. that comes with the task.

Oct 23, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
stevegambini

it's too bad you don't speak english, i think you might have had something good to say....

Oct 23, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
zivotinja

Well I do not know about your English, but your thinking will not get you anywhere except in-depth-knowledge of someone’s a..
Criticality requires stamina and backbone thus creative endeavor exclude usual snotty so-called-intellectual posturing that is emblematic of atmosphere in many corporate american architectural firms.

Oct 23, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Hi steve, you must be a new troll. Have fun trolling steve!

Oct 23, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Indeed - steve is a new troll
HI steve!!!...I think zivotinja was calling you a grease-ball...you didnt understand?

good one ziv ;-)

Oct 23, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
stevegambini

ouch!

Oct 23, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

yeah sorry for the slam - you seem trollish

Oct 23, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

anyone care to take a stab at answering the question? :)

Oct 23, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

well I talked to a friend who said they talked to you already!

Oct 23, 07 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

interesting, because except for my prospective boss there, I haven't talked to anybody yet :)

Oct 23, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

'course your friend may just be the principal in question

Oct 23, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

check your email kid

Oct 23, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

she said you have been talking to her?!?!?!?

Oct 23, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I'm confused. What do you mean? I meant to say that haven't talked to anybody at the firm yet, aside from the people I interviewed with. They told me about the grade system... now I'm trying to figure out what it really means.

Oct 23, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Archinecture

what's a troll? and why is everyone so negative?

Oct 23, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I mean that I told someone that I know that works at SOM to take a look at this thread...they emailed you about the rating system.

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.

Oct 23, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

ah.. sorry.. no emails. Are you sure they know who I am? hehe

Oct 23, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

weird

Oct 23, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I dont know WTF is going on - she said she clicked on your name and emailed you...thats all i know...and all she has told me through email

Oct 23, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

oh my gosh.. she did email, but I thought she was somebody the people there told to email me, who has the same first name but a different last name. Tell her I totally apologize. They told me expect a call, so I thought that was her. my reply to her must've totally confused her, since I thought she was totally somebody else. Now I feel really embarassed.. I'm going to email her back again now.

Oct 23, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

oh jeezz
Urbanist: is the email on ur archinect account up to date, cuz i definilty emailed u...and actually got a response from someone.... it was alittle strange... but non the less about SOM.

so. anywhoo... i work at the joint.. and have worked in 2 different SOM offices. so if you want .. some info.... i'll give it.

Oct 23, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

ok, never mind.. i just read ur response above

Oct 23, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
alexandraNY

"her" is here! no need to apologize... not a big deal

Oct 23, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

OK terrific!

Oct 23, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

unfortunately my original comment was an actual quote.

Oct 28, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: